How do I import contacts?

sorcerer

Reaction score
A customer has a Win 7 laptop that's seen better days so she's bought a new Win 10 machine.

On the old one she's been using Windows Live Mail client if I remember correctly and she has over 150 contacts listed in it. I've exported those contacts in CSV format on to a USB flash drive, plugged it into the new Win 10 machine and opened up the 'Mail App', only to find that there's no way to import contacts into Mail and you have to import them into the 'People App' instead.

So, I open 'People' and find that there's no option to import from a USB flash drive (or any other drive or file for that matter), so how do I get these contacts in there? Surely, in 2019, we don't have to manually type in each contact one-by-one do we?

I never use the mail app in Windows 10. It just sucks. I use emclient if i cant convince them to use webmail. Emclient will import win live mail.
If I recall you can fabs the win live data and restore it to the new computer and then install Emclient. It has been a while. Worst case you would have to install WLM first then import.

Dare I say you suggest to the customer they use a 'proper' email client.

You can suggest it but she would struggle. She's 84 years old, not very tech savvy and Win 10 in itself is such a huge learning curve for her that trying to learn something 'proper' may be a step too far. Yes, the 'Mail App' is rubbish but at least it's basic rubbish and not too much to learn.

You can suggest it but she would struggle. She's 84 years old, not very tech savvy and Win 10 in itself is such a huge learning curve for her that trying to learn something 'proper' may be a step too far. Yes, the 'Mail App' is rubbish but at least it's basic rubbish and not too much to learn.

If they are that age I heavily, and by heavily I mean, aggressively heavily, push them into an iPad. The ones that resist I try to involve myself very minimally because they could very easily turn into a high maintenance low profit client. The ones that move to an iPad I show em Facebook, Youtube, Amazon and setup their email and I never hear from em again.

In your situation, if that ship has already sailed, reinstall Windows Live Mail and save yourself the hours. I think someone helped me out with a download once before, let me see if I can find it.

Credit to @Porthos

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/xJM6Jn1nXI4CgAteE0fBuSLkS02U2X1rAm2Xi8lWYx5

Back