Google shares “fix” for deleted Google Drive files

This is why local backups are so important. The cloud is a great thing to have just in case your house burns down or your NAS or external hard drive dies while restoring your files but keeping your data only in the cloud isn't recommended. Then again, I can't tell you how many clients I've had who buy an external hard drive and then store their data ONLY on that and then they're screwed when the external hard drive dies. You should have at least 2 backups, one of which is off site. My personal backup plan is:

1. Local backup to external SSD using File History. Backups are made every 10 seconds so I can go back and restore individual files (especially Word documents) and I have a record of every change, no matter how minor. Its only possible to set File History to back up every 10 seconds by editing the configuration files manually. It's also only possible for me to do this because of the super fast U.2 SSD that I have both in my backup external SSD and my internal SSD.

2. Local backup to external SSD using Bvckup2. Backups are made every 24 hours to protect against complete failure of my main internal SSD (a 15.36TB U.2 enterprise class SSD).

3. Local backup to Synology NAS using Active Backup for Business. Backups are made every 24 hours. These are image backups so I can restore my entire computer if necessary.

4. Local backup to Synology NAS using Bvckup2. Backups are made every week. My Synology NAS has a built in snapshot replication feature so if I get hit by ransomware and the ransomware somehow extracts my NAS password stored in Bvckup2 I can restore from a snapshot.

5. Cloud backup to Backblaze. This backup is continuous and I can restore to any point in time. This is just in case my house burns down or I lose all my other backups somehow.

6. Off site backup made manually every 6 months on encrypted 3.5" hard drives that I put in a safe deposit box at my local bank. This is my backup of last resort. Worst case scenario I lose 6 months of data.

Is my backup solution overkill? Absolutely. Is it worth it to me? Absolutely. I've been collecting data for over 20 years at this point. I'd be devastated if I lost it all.

Back