Failure Upgrading to 8.1 on Tablet

Blues

Reaction score
I have a tablet I cannot get Windows 8.1 to load on it will always fail. I would love to set the tablet to always on no sleep modes and leave on power but it doesn't have the correct power adapter so can't run and charge or run off external power at this time. I will need to try again to get more details but any off hand suggestions are welcome. It is a Dell tablet forget the model.

Model: Dell Latitude 10 ST2
HDD/SSD: 50.4GB w/ 24.9GB Free

Last edited:
Without any details (model, storage capacity, available connectors, what you've tried already, how it fails) any suggestions would be pure speculation - in other words, a waste of your time and ours.

I sometimes think that reading https://www.technibble.com/forums/threads/how-to-ask-good-questions-for-faster-tech-help.1248/ should be a condition of signing up here.

One of the great disadvantages of an international community spread over so many time zones is that whenever you post something you're certain to reach someone who hasn't had any coffee yet. This time it's me. Next time you might not be so lucky.

Last edited:
Without any details (model, storage capacity, available connectors, what you've tried already, how it fails) any suggestions would be pure speculation - in other words, a waste of your time and ours.

I sometimes think that reading https://www.technibble.com/forums/threads/how-to-ask-good-questions-for-faster-tech-help.1248/ should be a condition of signing up here.

One of the great disadvantages of an international community spread over so many time zones is that whenever you post something you're certain to reach someone who hasn't had any coffee yet. This time it's me. Next time you might not be so lucky.
I am about to boot the thing up and get some of the details here shortly. If you read in full I state that the details will be coming but I do understand the need for the details also. Thanks for the reply though.
PS I been a member for ~11 years. :p

Try upgrading to Windows 10.
As the free window is closed thats not an option for this one and the owner doesn't want to fork over the money.

Guess you don't keep up with win 10 things much. It can still be upgraded for free. Just gotta know how.
Well majority of my clients already are on Windows 10 or are too old to learn 10 so I keep on Windows 7 so I let most the knowledge of the upgrade process fall to the wayside. please enlighten me I would be happy to know because Windows 10 would be a great option for this machine which I shortly will post the model in my original post.

I've just had a ridiculously busy morning and still not had my coffee, so this is going to be a bit blunt.

If you read in full I state that the details will be coming but I do understand the need for the details also.

I had read the post in full - that's why I replied the way I did. If you were planning to provide details later then why ask for help when you did? There's nothing for us to go on and it really is a waste of your time. (Mine too, but that's my choice.)

PS I been a member for ~11 years.

Then you should know how Technibble works by now. Bryce's How To Ask Good Questions post was made in September 2007 so you may have missed it when you joined, but it's never too late to catch up. I seriously recommend it.

Well majority of my clients already are on Windows 10 or are too old to learn 10 so I keep on Windows 7 so I let most the knowledge of the upgrade process fall to the wayside

One afternoon last week three clients told me how old they were (90, 90, and 96) and all three of them were happily running Windows 10 with no problems at all. I don't believe that age by itself is a barrier - reluctance to try new things, perhaps, but that can be as true of the technician as of the client. It's all too easy to make assumptions about what our clients want or are capable of - if you probe a bit more deeply they may surprise you.

please enlighten me I would be happy to know because Windows 10 would be a great option for this machine which I shortly will post the model in my original post.

Download the Media Creation Tool, burn Windows 10 to a USB stick, and install it. Just because Microsoft says that the free Windows 10 upgrade is no longer available doesn't make it true. A clean installation is better than an upgrade, and you might need to provide a Windows key for activation - the Windows 8.0 one should work, but might not. Back up before doing anything. All sales are final. Void where prohibited by law.

Last edited:
Reactions: NJW
I've just had a ridiculously busy morning and still not had my coffee, so this is going to be a bit blunt.

I had read the post in full - that's why I replied the way I did. If you were planning to provide details later then why ask for help when you did? There's nothing for us to go on and it really is a waste of your time. (Mine too, but that's my choice.)
I'm not offended and I don't mean to come off as such or anything I have a habit of doing these poor questions because often if I don't I bury myself and forget to ask for help so I will ask when I can regardless of how much information I can give.

Then you should know how Technibble works by now. Bryce's How To Ask Good Questions post was made in September 2007 so you may have missed it when you joined, but it's never too late to catch up. I seriously recommend it.
I am well aware of the post but you know I'm stubborn and set in my ways :p more seriously I just have odd methods to my madness sometimes that means starting something I'm not prepared to finish immediately.

One afternoon last week three clients told me how old they were (90, 90, and 96) and all three of them were happily running Windows 10 with no problems at all. I don't believe that age by itself is a barrier - reluctance to try new things, perhaps, but that can be as true of the technician as of the client. It's all too easy to make assumptions about what our clients want or are capable of - if you probe a bit more deeply they may surprise you.
Age isn't always a barrier but typically they have an aversion to learning something new if not a difficulty. I also adhere a bit to the if it ain't broke don't fix it. I know these clients well enough to know if such an upgrade would be welcome or cause them distress. I believe one of them could but due to some applications they can't do without have questionable compatibility in Windows 10 it is better to leave them were they are for now.

Download the Media Creation Tool, burn Windows 10 to a USB stick, and install it. Just because Microsoft says that the free Windows 10 upgrade is no longer available doesn't make it true. A clean installation is better than an upgrade, and you might need to provide a Windows key for activation - the Windows 8.0 one should work, but might not. Back up before doing anything. All sales are final. Void where prohibited by law.
I am going to try upgrading to Windows 10 first hopefully with no disastrous results. One problem I would have is the tablet would go into standby or something but not go back to normal state without forcing shutdown.

You're better off on Win10 than Win8.1 anyway, if for no other reason than you don't have to wander google to fight the two KB patches required to get the darned thing to update. Fresh Win7 and Win8 installs are massive time sinks these days.

Just small update Windows 10 got to 99% before I went to sleep and tablet battery ran out before I got up, expected, so I don't yet know if it worked I may have to table this until I can get a proper power supply to allow operation while charging. I will try and update this evening with the status but I think we have the solution it is just a matter of dealing with the equipment deficiencies. Thanks for the input so far everyone.

Just a small update got home and booted tablet and it resumed at the 99% it seems so will see how this goes from here.

Update: It was still at the 99% on Saturday I removed power and just let it die plugged back up late Saturday to charge and Sunday morning found it to be loaded with Windows 10 so at this point success still need to check a few things and configure it but should be much improved now.

I've tried on a few systems, and Windows 7 or 8/8.1 seem to take the upgrade like they did during the free period. Also clean installing a system with a 7 or 8 product key still seems to work, least the last time I attempted it. As well as ones where 8 was installed, and it seemed to pick it up from bios when you attempted to load 10. We will see if they turn it off but so far it appears to work still. So at this point at least, the upgrade seems to still work with no finagling.

Back