Laptop auto-on with lid open, auto-shutdown with lid close?

HCHTech

Reaction score
This has to be the laziest request I've ever gotten from a client - haha. Looking for a new laptop, but they want one that will power off when you close the lid (not go into sleep mode), and power on when you open the lid.

I tried explaining a bit about sleep and hibernate modes, but got nowhere. Apparently, they had a laptop that would do this and built their whole workflow around this feature somehow. It's simple enough to get the lid close action to power down a laptop (well, presuming no application is running that won't close without intervention), and apparently SOME laptops have the ability to power on when the lid opens, but that is by no means a universal feature. I checked 4 or 5 laptops that I have at my disposal and none of them allow this. I've gone through the powershell commands of adding this option to the power plan, but my guess is it has to be supported for the hardware to show up.

So, since there is no way to search for this feature on a new laptop, does anyone know of a brand/model that might have it? I've already spent my maximum allowable time for crazy requests, so I'm more than ready to just say "No.....no there isn't" - haha.

I would say it is hardware limited to turn on so if the hardware doesn't do it you can't make it work and a sleep state setup is the best middle ground they will get short of buying hardware with the feature they want.

So, since there is no way to search for this feature on a new laptop, does anyone know of a brand/model that might have it? I've already spent my maximum allowable time for crazy requests, so I'm more than ready to just say "No.....no there isn't" - haha.
I think most if not all MacBook laptops from the last several years do this by default.

Well I found this, apparently some Dell laptops have this feature to power on with lid open.
Yes, I saw that in my short google trip yesterday. There's no way to confirm a particular model has this or not before purchase, so I think I'm back to where I was. Short of someone popping in with "We buy Latitude 7240s all the time and they have this", I don't think there is an answer. I'll just explain that and move on. Likely a harder "no" like that will convince them to live with a sleep setup. Or switch to a Macbook! :)

Close the lid to shut down is just a setting in power management. Open the lid to power on I've only seen on Lenovos.

Back