Distant Desktop ( Free Remote Desktop Software)

alex999

Reaction score
Have you ever used completely free remote desktop software. I'm talking about commercial use, within a company.
Here you are: Distant Desktop. A full-featured remote access/support software for home and business use.

screenshot.jpg

I think it may be interesting for you. I'm working in tech support in this company (Distant Software). So I am ready to answer to all your questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Self advertising without Informing a mod or administrator, is against our forum rules.

I have therefore removed the link to your software and site.

Members will be able to search for your site and details if required.

I have not banned you for breaking our rules, but have edited your initial post, as our Members may find it useful.

Interesting, given the sheer number folks discouraged with Teamviewer's pricing models who are looking for solutions for commercial use....

Just use quick support that’s included in windows 10 for free.

I love Quick Assist and use it relatively frequently. If all you need or want is a "live" remote session, usually with the client sitting and watching (or participating) on the other end, it's perfect. It's not for unattended access.

Reactions: GTP
It's not for unattended access.
Unfortunately, neither is Distant Desktop.

Edit:

However, when you install the program, you can set it to auto-start and set a static password. You could then add the ID (which is unique to the PC and doesn't change) and the static password to a document in which you list all your remote connections. I suspect it would open a window on start-up which the user would find annoying or would close. It would be great if it could be started minimized or hidden but I'm not sure how to set that.

Last edited:
Just use quick support that’s included in windows 10 for free.
I don't use QuickAssist because I refuse to use a Microsoft account. I'm sick and tired of this Microsoft account BS. I will NEVER buy ANYTHING from Microsoft, which is the ONLY reason they want me to sign up with an account. Requiring you to sign up with a Microsoft account in order to use your computer is as stupid as DoorDash or Instacart requiring you to sign in to your refrigerator in order to open it. Yeah, I know they want you to pay for their delivery service, but you should be able to use your refrigerator regardless whether you paid for delivery or went and got your groceries yourself. Yes, I can see them requiring you to sign up for an account IF you want delivery just like Microsoft is justified requiring you to sign up for an account IF you want to pay for their cloud backup services, but if not then you shouldn't be required to sign up for a Microsoft account to use something as simple as a remote support app. I mean, hell, even Windows XP had this feature and you didn't need an account in order to use it. Granted it was more of a pain in the a$$ to set up, but we're talking Windows XP here. That was 20 years ago! Surely they could do better today without requiring Microsoft account BS.

Self advertising without Informing a mod or administrator, is against our forum rules.

I have therefore removed the link to your software and site.

Members will be able to search for your site and details if required.

I have not banned you for breaking our rules, but have edited your initial post, as our Members may find it useful.
Sorry, this won't happen again.

Unfortunately, neither is Distant Desktop.

Edit:

However, when you install the program, you can set it to auto-start and set a static password. You could then add the ID (which is unique to the PC and doesn't change) and the static password to a document in which you list all your remote connections. I suspect it would open a window on start-up which the user would find annoying or would close. It would be great if it could be started minimized or hidden but I'm not sure how to set that.
We hear this suggestion very often (minimized start, unattended access). And, as I understant, it's easy to implement. I think this feature will be implemented in the near future. But this requires additional security measures.

I don't use QuickAssist because I refuse to use a Microsoft account. I'm sick and tired of this Microsoft account BS. I will NEVER buy ANYTHING from Microsoft, which is the ONLY reason they want me to sign up with an account. Requiring you to sign up with a Microsoft account in order to use your computer is as stupid as DoorDash or Instacart requiring you to sign in to your refrigerator in order to open it. Yeah, I know they want you to pay for their delivery service, but you should be able to use your refrigerator regardless whether you paid for delivery or went and got your groceries yourself. Yes, I can see them requiring you to sign up for an account IF you want delivery just like Microsoft is justified requiring you to sign up for an account IF you want to pay for their cloud backup services, but if not then you shouldn't be required to sign up for a Microsoft account to use something as simple as a remote support app. I mean, hell, even Windows XP had this feature and you didn't need an account in order to use it. Granted it was more of a pain in the a$$ to set up, but we're talking Windows XP here. That was 20 years ago! Surely they could do better today without requiring Microsoft account BS.
What are you ranting about?
You don’t need a Microsoft account to use quick assist.

Yes you do. The instant you click on "assist another person" it demands that you sign in to your Microsoft account. Obviously if you're already signed in to your computer with a Microsoft account, it won't ask this.

You kinda need an MS account in this business just to support customers. There's no cost so I'm not sure why the rant.
I manage to get 99.999% of my clients off of Microsoft accounts. Onedrive sucks royally as do most other Microsoft services, and nobody uses Windows 10 "apps." The only Microsoft products that are decent are Windows and Office (the real Office, not this 365 crap).

Well, not that I care, because I do have one, but if you can explain how the person offering the assistance, not the person getting it, can do this without a Microsoft Account then I'm all ears.

You need not be logged in to a Microsoft Account linked Windows 10 User Account, but I have never failed to be prompted to log in with a Microsoft Account when I am offering assistance, whether just screen sharing with the other machine or taking full control.

P.S.: Ranting about the need to have a Microsoft Account is just plain stupid if you're someone in the business of supporting Windows 10.

At any rate I'd venture a guess they're harvesting info on the free sessions and selling that.

I generally presume that any commercial venture where the product is "free" to the end user is actually making the end user (or, more accurately, a data profile about them) the product.

If you've got paid staff you've got to get the money to pay them somehow.

The only fully free software tends to be open source stuff that was created by an individual or couple of individuals to address a need they had that they later decided to give away as a cosmic goodwill gesture. Lots of that's good stuff, too.

Yes you do. The instant you click on "assist another person" it demands that you sign in to your Microsoft account. Obviously if you're already signed in to your computer with a Microsoft account, it won't ask this.

I manage to get 99.999% of my clients off of Microsoft accounts. Onedrive sucks royally as do most other Microsoft services, and nobody uses Windows 10 "apps." The only Microsoft products that are decent are Windows and Office (the real Office, not this 365 crap).
Weird as I don’t sign into my computer with a Microsoft account, local admin only, and have never been prompted to sign into an account before being able to use quick assist.
And neither has anyone to whom I’m providing the assistance to.
I don’t use it often though as I have Screenconnect.

Back