Ddrescue shuts down

ell

Reaction score
Hi, I've used ddrescue for years updated it finally and I'm trying to figure if maybe it's time to try something else for imaging. I have a 1tb HD that I warned the customer about months ago, but he continued to use ( at least he did make a backup like I told him to do). Well it got kinda slow so he thought he grind it out with chkdsk a few times till its hamburger. Now I'm trying to image it at after about 20 minutes its actively collecting data then ddrescue just closes to the desktop, nothing legible in the log, drives are still connected. I tried a couple times, same issue. Should I try r-studio or something else to image? Yes I already told him if he is willing to spend the money he should let me send it to my data recovery partner, he doesn't want to he's willing to just let me try for cheap and take the risk. Any ideas what gives with ddrescue?

Closes to the desktop -- are you using a GUI version of ddrescue? If so, I'd suggest trying the Linux shell version; it should give some hint of why it's crashing. But my guess is it's a mechanical failure and the drive is too far gone for anything to read it.

Closes to the desktop -- are you using a GUI version of ddrescue? If so, I'd suggest trying the Linux shell version; it should give some hint of why it's crashing. But my guess is it's a mechanical failure and the drive is too far gone for anything to read it.
thanks, but I'm a total noob at linux, I have to use a gui or I'm screwed. Just seems odd it wouldn't just freeze up without closing the whole program.

thanks, but I'm a total noob at linux, I have to use a gui or I'm screwed. Just seems odd it wouldn't just freeze up without closing the whole program.

The ddrescue GUIs I know of are just wrappers for ddrescue. I think what's happening is the GUI is just crashing instead of passing whatever ddrescue is saying. ddrescue's reason for existence is that it tries really hard to read unreadable spots, tries them again from the other direction, etc. If it's quitting before it even gets started, I'm guessing the drive is completely trashed and there's no hope outside of a drive recovery lab.

The ddrescue GUIs I know of are just wrappers for ddrescue. I think what's happening is the GUI is just crashing instead of passing whatever ddrescue is saying. ddrescue's reason for existence is that it tries really hard to read unreadable spots, tries them again from the other direction, etc. If it's quitting before it even gets started, I'm guessing the drive is completely trashed and there's no hope outside of a drive recovery lab.
Yeah I tried to do a r-studio image too, all I/O errors, 💩 could have used a little extra $

Yeah I tried to do a r-studio image too, all I/O errors, 💩 could have used a little extra $

Well you're still going to charge him something, right? You warned him, and stupid should hurt. Or maybe he wasn't stupid, but made an informed decision to keep using it, in which case he counted on the possibility of paying. Either way, not charging is just leaving free money on the table.

I already installed a new SSD to his tower, so I am getting paid I don't have that much time into it

Sometimes I can't just let sleeping dogs lie. Instead of DDrescue on my Ubuntu drive I booted to Parted Magic and ran DDRescue from that. Very different result, its been chucking long fine for 2 hrs, read 7000+mb but not one bit of data recovered or read so hmmm

Sometimes I can't just let sleeping dogs lie. Instead of DDrescue on my Ubuntu drive I booted to Parted Magic and ran DDRescue from that. Very different result, its been chucking long fine for 2 hrs, read 7000+mb but not one bit of data recovered or read so hmmm
My preference, for problem children like this, is to first image the drive then use something R-Studio for data recovery.

Hi, I've used ddrescue for years updated it finally and I'm trying to figure if maybe it's time to try something else for imaging. I have a 1tb HD that I warned the customer about months ago, but he continued to use ( at least he did make a backup like I told him to do). Well it got kinda slow so he thought he grind it out with chkdsk a few times till its hamburger. Now I'm trying to image it at after about 20 minutes its actively collecting data then ddrescue just closes to the desktop, nothing legible in the log, drives are still connected. I tried a couple times, same issue. Should I try r-studio or something else to image? Yes I already told him if he is willing to spend the money he should let me send it to my data recovery partner, he doesn't want to he's willing to just let me try for cheap and take the risk. Any ideas what gives with ddrescue?
At some point it's beyond the capabilities of any software and if you continue trying beyond that point you have a good chance you are pushing it beyond the limits of any chance at recovery. It sounds like you already may have done that.

Last edited:
Why are you investing such large effort into getting a clone to do data recovery against when you mentioned the client made a backup per your advice?

Was the backup like a one time thing done a while ago and still some potential data loss?

Back