Customer upset at me because Vista obsolete

No need to buy a license, I'll put in simpler terms. Oem machines have what they call a slic table embedded in the bios. Depending on the year of the machine some tables have both vista and 7 licenses. The key is that you have to have a oem disk to upgrade it with. For instance I'm sure you remember doing a reload back in the day on a dell machine with a windows 7 dell disk. If you remember, did ever have to put a product key? No because if you used the oem disk and it would just activate. Same difference with a upgrade. First I checked the oem slic first to see what licensing it had. Then if it had 7 then I would do the upgrade. Like I said before, pain in the a$$ to do.

That is wrong on so many levels...

Windows 7 activated based on key, tier 1 OEMs had a VL key they used that auto-activated. You could get the Dell stuff to install on anything similar enough.

Windows 8 onward and EFI is when we started seeing the keys in the BIOS, and that's a whole different mess. If you've got a machine with a 7 OEM sticker, with downgrade rights to vista, sure you can upgrade to 10. But, if you've got a machine with a vista sticker, you have to license that unit for 7 to upgrade there, then re-license for 10. Of course, the 7 key will activate in 10, and there's no way to know if the unit wasn't upgraded during the free period... so that's an unenforceable loophole we all can jump through.

It's not so much that Vista is old as it was just plain horrible. Maybe ask the customer if he had upgraded from ME. LOL!!!

I liked ME. First Windows that did file sharing and Internet out of the box. You could push it to support large drives.

I liked ME. First Windows that did file sharing and Internet out of the box. You could push it to support large drives.

It was also the first version of Windows to run better on AMD chips instead of Intel chips... it was a strange one but I had great success with it too.

No need to buy a license, I'll put in simpler terms. Oem machines have what they call a slic table embedded in the bios. Depending on the year of the machine some tables have both vista and 7 licenses. The key is that you have to have a oem disk to upgrade it with. For instance I'm sure you remember doing a reload back in the day on a dell machine with a windows 7 dell disk. If you remember, did ever have to put a product key? No because if you used the oem disk and it would just activate. Same difference with a upgrade. First I checked the oem slic first to see what licensing it had. Then if it had 7 then I would do the upgrade. Like I said before, pain in the a$$ to do.
You are committing blatant piracy. The fact that it is technically possible doesn't make it legal. The machine was licensed for Vista not Windows 7. Therefore in order to put Windows 7 on the machine you will have to purchase a Windows 7 upgrade or full retail license. As the goal is to jump to 10 you might as well just buy the Windows 10 license. Pizza Tech crooks like you are why this industry has gone to the tank.

Pizza Tech crooks like you are why this industry has gone to the tank.

I'm not arguing that what he did was right, but the reason why the industry is suffering is more due to the declining prices of computers, and the fact that the computers are made like crap nowadays and they're getting more and more difficult to repair. The blame lies with the manufacturers more than pizza techs when it comes to destroying the computer repair industry. Our industry is being destroyed from both ends by manufacturers and pizza techs alike.

I'm not arguing that what he did was right, but the reason why the industry is suffering is more due to the declining prices of computers, and the fact that the computers are made like crap nowadays and they're getting more and more difficult to repair. The blame lies with the manufacturers more than pizza techs when it comes to destroying the computer repair industry. Our industry is being destroyed from both ends by manufacturers and pizza techs alike.
Oh I agree but techs often instead of trying to resist this trend are effectively endorsing it when they go for the cheap as possible.

98SE was about as solid an OS as I've ever seen. I still have clients running various industrial equipment using it and it just works.

With an unresolved memory leak in the memory manager? It's far from stable, you may have installs still intact, and I'd believe it! But, those installs need daily reboots or bad things start to happen. That's not stable, indeed that's quite unstable. Even Vista or ME will last in such a role if it's not on a network!

Back