Customer upset at me because Vista obsolete

Diggs

Reaction score
Totally caught me off guard yesterday when a customer called because his new printer wouldn't work with his computer. One of the early questions was which version of Windows and when he stated Vista I explained that Vista was obsolete and I don't think his printer will ever work with it. Wow! He went livid. "Vista is NOT obsolete! I go on the Internet everyday and it works fine. You're wrong! They can't obsolete Vista. It's illegal!" I explained they did and it is and he shouldn't be doing his banking or credit cards online. "I've got a grandson in Iraq!" (Not sure where or why this came out...) OK - Does he repair computers remotely or are you going to have him shoot me?

Then he wanted to know what it would cost for me to come out and take a crack at his printer. I quote my usual very low rate (saying I don't think it will help) and again he starts sputtering "I can have HP for $15 or @#$% for $10." I tell him then that's what he needs to do.

Sigh........

Guy sounds like a real a-hole and looks like you dodged a bullet. I won't touch anything with Vista these days except under special circumstances. But, as a mental exercise, are you sure it's because of Vista? Seems to me that the drivers for Vista and 7 are pretty similar, sometimes interchangeable. Did you happen to get the model number of the printer and look it up on HP's site? I'm curious.

Lol Vista is so old at this point MS doesn't even list it on the lifecycle sheet. But yeah, it left extended support on April 11, 2017. It's a year without updates, and quite toast. If you think this man was upset, wait until Jan 14 2020!

It amazes me how some people thinks things should work forever. I'll admit I am slow to change to a point.
I never sold Vista or Windows 8 if I could help it.
Customers want games they played 15-20 years ago to still work. I try to help them if I can, but when the
installer is on floppies and disk 3 of 5 is bad...
Then explaining their old 16 bit software won't work on Windows 10. They want to sue Microsoft.

Wait wait wait....you got through THAT much of the discussion with him? I would have hung up after he said the word "Vista" HAHAHA That's a great story.

Totally caught me off guard yesterday when a customer called because his new printer wouldn't work with his computer. One of the early questions was which version of Windows and when he stated Vista I explained that Vista was obsolete and I don't think his printer will ever work with it. Wow! He went livid. "Vista is NOT obsolete! I go on the Internet everyday and it works fine. You're wrong! They can't obsolete Vista. It's illegal!" I explained they did and it is and he shouldn't be doing his banking or credit cards online. "I've got a grandson in Iraq!" (Not sure where or why this came out...) OK - Does he repair computers remotely or are you going to have him shoot me?

Then he wanted to know what it would cost for me to come out and take a crack at his printer. I quote my usual very low rate (saying I don't think it will help) and again he starts sputtering "I can have HP for $15 or @#$% for $10." I tell him then that's what he needs to do.

Sigh........

Nothing to do with Vista, but... A couple of years ago, I called to the apartment of an old gentleman who wanted his printer hooked up to his laptop. We got talking and to cut a long story short, he was a doctor who worked with the Red Cross during the second world war. He was one of the first on the scene attending to holocaust survivors in one of the major nazi concentration camps. He was a most interesting man who had lead an amazing life. Then he called me again, three mornings later to hook up his printer to his new laptop :)

We got talking and to cut a long story short, he was a doctor who worked with the Red Cross during the second world war. He was one of the first on the scene attending to holocaust survivors in one of the major nazi concentration camps. He was a most interesting man who had lead an amazing life.
I used to service a retirement village for the wealthy and I had similar clients. Super interesting stories, especially the war ones.
One of them was one of the Mosquito pilots during the Aarhus Air Raid in 1944

Another was a radio operator for a Catalina plane in the Pacific in WW2. Picking up downed airmen or sunken sailors. One story that was interesting was they were flying near the Philippines a day after Japan surrendered, and a Japanese patrol boat opened fire on them (I guess they didnt get the memo?). They eventually sunk it and my client noted it in his log. He handed the log into the administration after the mission, they read it, changed the date so it was a day or two inside the war and told my client thats when it happened.

Its less paperwork if they say it happened while the war was still on. Its a lot more paperwork explaining why you destroyed a Japanese patrol boat outside of the war.

Another one of my clients was 82 at the time I was there and grew up in Germany as a child. They remember seeing the Allied bombers flying overhead.

The war stories were super interesting. There were a number of interesting non-war stories too. One of my clients worked on the first computers (or maybe it was the first super computer?) in Australia.

Well to upgrade Vista to Windows 10 you have to buy a copy. Only 7 and 8 are eligible for the free version.

Actually that's not correct. You can upgrade vista to 10 but it takes a lot of effort. First you have to upgrade it to 7 then upgrade it again to 10. I've done it a couple of times but it was just because the customer really wanted to keep there ancient PC. I also had to add ram on most occasions.

Actually that's not correct. You can upgrade vista to 10 but it takes a lot of effort. First you have to upgrade it to 7 then upgrade it again to 10. I've done it a couple of times but it was just because the customer really wanted to keep there ancient PC. I also had to add ram on most occasions.
So you sold them a Windows 7 license to do this? If not your upgrade isn't legal.

Back