Commercial Drive Wipe or Destruction Services . . .

britechguy

Reaction score
This topic is a pretty direct spin-off of my topic yesterday about how those here may advise executors or others in a position of managing someone's estate.

Today I actually visited the person who'd called me at her deceased brother's apartment. Talk about digital hoarding writ large, I have never seen anyone with a larger collection of desktop, high capacity backup drives than the decedent had. There are at least 20, possibly more, and I believe most of them contain ancient media files, though who knows what's on there.

Since Virginia allows for a will to be contested for up to one year, and the digital equivalent of personal papers that might be needed were his will to be contested might be present on one or more of those drives, I advised his sister (and also executor) to avoid wiping or physical destruction of these drives until that year is up. I'd honestly hate to see them physically destroyed as they could easily be used again by schools or non-profits.

I'm curious if anyone might have recommendations for "mail in/ship in" drive wipe and/or destruction services. I am not aware of any such service locally, and will be doing more research, but thought I'd ask if anyone has ever used a service to securely dispose of backup drives whether that disposal involved a "gently, but complete wipe" or physical or magnetic-pulse destruction of some sort.

An acceptable method is to do a full disk encryption, FDE, then just do a simple format which will wipe the keys. You can do several drives at a time. I've also used Linux and run dd to wipe drives. In the case of dd you run it in a console window for each drive.

Totally forgot about diskpart. But yes any program that touches the entire surface of the drive will take about the same amount of time. So time will be similar. It's just I've never tried running more than one instance of diskpart. I know from experience you can do that on Linux with dd. According to the link below you can. And you don't have to have Linux installed on the HD. Just can boot a live image.

Back