USB3 external drive dead - NEW PCB? OR???

SubNoize

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with these drives? From what I can gather it's the PCB that has failed.

Most of the old external drives had your standard power/sata head on it and then there was the converter built inside the case that was detachable. This new drive has the USB3 soldered onto/built into the actual drive so I can't really test if it's a fault USB head by plugging it into sata because there is no sata port from what i can tell.

The drive gets power and starts to spin, it gets recognized by windows but seems to be corrupt. The client really wants the photos off the drive but has been quoted upwards of $1000 for a $100 drive.

Any help is appreciated. Can you detach the USB3 head from the drive and there is a sata port under it?

The drive is a My passport WD20NMVW - (wd20nmvw - 11av3s2)

From what I can gather I'll need to buy a donor board that matches the current PCB and then unsolder and resolder the bios chip from the old to the new board.

I believe it's still under warranty. If the client sends it to WD will they move the data from the broken drive to a new one and send it back or do they just wipe it?

Last edited:
Drive is encrypted, you cannot bypass the USB without getting encrypted sector access. I suggest getting a physical assessment by a data recovery pro...before you seal its fate.

Back