Client trying to pull a switcheroo on me ...

Are the invoices marked "due on receipt"

I hope no one expects this when working with a business. Almost every business gets to payables twice a month and that's it. (Usually the 15th and last day of the month.) Expecting anything else is unrealistic. I put net 15 on my invoices hoping to get them into the next payable period.

Lawyers suing Lawyers with Lawyers ... LOL

Yo dawg, I heard you like lawyers, so here's a lawyer to lawyer your lawyers.

...or something like that - haha.

Lawyers is one of those words where the more I type it, the more I'm sure that I'm spelling it wrong - I don't know what's up with that.

What is your process? I would be telling clients you're my client, you pay me. I don't invoice. I get credit cards before work lol

I don't invoice. I get credit cards before work lol

This. I won't do work unless I'm paid first or immediately afterwards. No free loans for my clients. They don't like it? Then go somewhere else for a free loan.

For large jobs ($20,000+), I'll invoice as I go along. But unless they want me to drop them like a hot potato in the middle of the job, they'll pay the invoice immediately. Just did a major job ($83,000) and they paid as we went along. I'd never expect an $83,000 payment up-front, but they paid $25,000 to start (my cost), an additional $35,000 when the job was halfway through, and the rest at job completion. It takes some companies off-guard that have never worked this way, but it's your business and you set the terms. If you allow them to abuse you, then don't blame them for taking advantage of you - you're allowing it.

I f*cking hate lawyers. I usually demand 100% of the job paid upfront before I start when I'm dealing with lawyers. I'll make exceptions for past clients on a case by case basis.

Medical facilities are also cheap as f*ck so I make sure to collect payment ASAP so they can't go back on what they've already agreed to. They also love Net 30/60/90 terms so I have to nip that in the bud right away when I'm working with a new medical client.

It's my job to fix computers, not give out loans and collect invoices. If they want a loan they can talk to a bank. I'm in the computer fixing business, not the banking business. I can either be a computer repair shop or a bank - I can't be both.

Just did a major job ($83,000)

:eek:

Good for you man! I agree with everything you said I just need to be more strict about my billing... I think the largest job I've done is around $30k, I'm small potatoes!

I get caught up in the day to day remote sessions of half an hour or less. Some days I can put together an entire day of work of 15 minute remote sessions.

Here's another cute problem you might be summoned in regards to anything you've done so get some legal aid

My paperwork stipulates that if I'm called into court relating to work I do (since I'm in data recovery which sometimes has cross-over with digital forensics) I'm to be paid expert witness fee at a rate of $275/hour. Somehow at that rate the lawyers always end up not needing me in court and are just happy with the report I type up for $175 flat rate. ;)

Back