Client requesting letter

BO Terry

Reaction score
This is new territory for me. I have a client who has had ongoing issues with an HP Printer they purchased. I have worked on it a few times with them and the issues come back. They asked me to write a letter documenting the steps taken so that they can submit it to their credit card company. They are filing a claim under the extended warranty. I've written the letter but have not sent it yet. Is there anything I should be concerned about business-wise in this process? Basically, it talks about the steps taken (uninstall drivers, update firmware, factory reset, etc) and that it seems to be a defective device.

He also asked me to change the date on my last invoice to reflect a more recent onsite visit which I am NOT willing to do.

FWIW: HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M479fdw
It works fine for a while and then will completely freeze requiring being unplugged to get it to work again.

I've done a couple insurance letters similar to this. As long as you state facts and dont fiddle anything (as you have declined to do) you shouldnt have anything to worry about. I had a call back about a month later from one insurance company and they were just checking i was a legitimate business and to confirm what i had written.
I guess things are different over there, but i have never known a credit card company ask for such details. Is the extended warranty not with HP/the retailer? HP should be the only ones that may require any troubleshooting steps already done.

I've done a couple insurance letters similar to this. As long as you state facts and dont fiddle anything (as you have declined to do) you shouldnt have anything to worry about. I had a call back about a month later from one insurance company and they were just checking i was a legitimate business and to confirm what i had written.
I guess things are different over there, but i have never known a credit card company ask for such details. Is the extended warranty not with HP/the retailer? HP should be the only ones that may require any troubleshooting steps already done.
Thanks for your feedback. It is my understanding that the extended warranty is through their credit card company. I sent the letter today, time will tell.

I have done these a few times - though am unsure if being HP themselves since you have been inside the printer it will be valid. As I suspect one would need to be a HP Authorised Rep. It is legal bollocks, though am unsure how the client can substantiate this.

I agree you may be a reputable tech, from the legal point it means nothing.

Last edited:
I've done these many times in the past. The underwriters are mainly looking for confirmation on two things. First, that the device actually is defective and failure wasn't intentional. Second is the cost to repair/replace. In the case of printers pretty much anything in the consumer ecosystem is unrepairable. Regardless of the labor costs, new parts just aren't available at any price. The OEM's keep a stock of complete printers for warranty exchange, but no parts.

In this case it's a business class machine and does have parts available. But from what I've seen over the years almost all those CC "extended warranties" usually reimburse the purchase price or a pro-rated amount.

I have done these a few times - though am unsure if being HP themselves since you have been inside the printer it will be valid. As I suspect one would need to be a HP Authorised Rep. It is legal bollocks, though am unsure how the client can substantiate this.

I agree you may be a reputable tech, from the legal point it means nothing.
I once had an HP laptop with an HDD fail within the manufacturer warranty and I called HP and explained i would like to remove the HDD and attempt data recovery and they were really good about it and I said it would just be easier and quicker to send me a new HDD instead of me sending back the laptop for them to do, they just sent me the HDD. All they wanted was the error code from the HP Diagnostic software.

I stand or sit corrected, warp us outa here number 1.
I think your original view point is more typical. I was only trying my luck and it worked. Im sure it wont work every time and if i was a manufacturer i would only want my techs messing with stuff.

Back