Cat 5 200m

I've forever bought it in 1000 foot spools.
1000 meters = 1km is an unwieldy size of cable drum to handle !
Either someone brought a 1000m reel to site, or wound it off before, or used 2 off the shelf 100m reels.

At work we used to have "the clown prince" who had no idea how to handle industrial size cable drums that often arrived with the wrong size hole in them despite being shown what to do :(

1000 meters = 1km is an unwieldy size of cable drum to handle !
Either someone brought a 1000m reel to site, or wound it off before, or used 2 off the shelf 100m reels.

At work we used to have "the clown prince" who had no idea how to handle industrial size cable drums that often arrived with the wrong size hole in them despite being shown what to do :(
1000 feet = 305 meters which is your standard roll of cable.

1000 feet = 305 meters which is your standard roll of cable.
1000m = 3281 feet, feel free to try and pick the drum up lol

Normaly a 1km arrives on it's side to stop it rolling around on the lorry.
I made our rolling road rollers used to de reel them.

Last edited:
1000m = 3281 feet, feel free to try and pick the drum up lol

Normaly a 1km arrives on it's side to stop it rolling around on the lorry.
I made our rolling road rollers used to de reel them.
Stonecat said 1000 feet not 1000 meters....

Since we have been discussing wireless bridges in this thread, I thought some might be interested in seeing a screen shot of my most impressive bridge:
RocketBridge.jpg

Yes, that is correct. This PTP is almost 8 miles and getting nearly 300mbits on a 40mhz channel. This bridge feeds internet from one of my towers to another. It is feeding internet to 6*60 degree Rocket/Ubiquiti sectors. Over the past couple of years, I have transitioned my business from 100% break-fix/MSP to 60%+ WISP/40% MSP. I now have about 140 rural home and businesses on my internet service.

Last edited:
Since we have been discussing wireless bridges in this thread, I thought some might be interested in seeing a screen shot of my most impressive bridge:

Those are fun!
Several years ago I did a 6.2 mile shot over the ocean, from mainland, to an island....to feed the school a high speed connection. Used a pair of airFiber 5U radios. Ubiquiti did a tweet on it when I posted the project on their site, got a lot of swag from them. On mainland I'm renting space from a municipal tower at a police station that is up on a hill. But for the island side, there's a 45' tower on the roof of the school which is barely 20 feet above sea level itself. I did all the climbing on that for the setup/aiming. In the fall...when the wasps were active up there.

Those are fun!
Several years ago I did a 6.2 mile shot over the ocean, from mainland, to an island....to feed the school a high speed connection. Used a pair of airFiber 5U radios. Ubiquiti did a tweet on it when I posted the project on their site, got a lot of swag from them. On mainland I'm renting space from a municipal tower at a police station that is up on a hill. But for the island side, there's a 45' tower on the roof of the school which is barely 20 feet above sea level itself. I did all the climbing on that for the setup/aiming. In the fall...when the wasps were active up there.

Those are fun!

I didn't do any of the tower climbing myself. Hired it done by the guy that put my towers up. I am 62 and he is much younger. I debated hard on whether to use AF radios instead of regular rockets. Could have got closer to 350mbits with them in hindsight. But that was because the radios had to be mounted at a lower height than the bridge I was already using, which is a pair of Powerbeam 500s (still on the towers). The Powerbeams were at 90' on one end and 135' on the other and were dropping off at times to less than 100mbit connection on 40Mhz channel. The RocketDish Light antennas could not be mounted as high on the towers due to their size and weight. They are at 80' and 100'. I was afraid of too much fresnel damage at those lower heights as there are alot of trees. So my plan to use the regular Rockets would have allowed me the option to bridge with either the Rocket at either end or the Powerbeams at a higher elevation. If I would have known before mounting them I was going to get an 8X -47 signal ahead of time, I would have gone with the AF radios. But this is still way more than I need right now as use peaks around 160mbits. I also still have the option to go to wider channels and/or LAG the Powerbeams in the mix. So I have plenty of bandwidth for my customers.

Edit: forgot to quote YeOldeStonecat. Hope that edit works right.

Last edited:
Bought a couple of Nano Loco units off broadband buyer pre-configured as suggested.

Haven't dealt with them before but the guy I spoke to Jon was extremely knowledgeable and a very nice guy.
The customer will be installing them himself, then I will just terminate the cables and test the setup works ok.

I’ve never seen powerline ethernet work in multiple building setups.

I have. Did it myself for my prior home, worked great. Can think of at least 2x other clients I've done that at. Depends on the electrical system mostly. Cheap enough to be worth a quick try....although since we move so much Ubiquiti I'd be inclined just to airmax it. Granted...that takes wiring, drilling holes to exterior, etc...so...much like trenching, cost of equip ain't much, but cost of time/labor....there goes the bill.

@YeOldeStonecat What are you using to replace Elite?

Nada...we just stock up. Larger clients....I include spares in the quote for bigger setups. If a client has a point to point...I'll sell 3...so there's a 3rd right there ready to swap in quick. Stack of switches? Sell at least one more to keep aside. Support...really don't need it.

We also stock up our stock room, keeping several of everything (you've possibly seen some pics here). I have shelves of edgerouters, edgeswitches, USGs, UDMs, Unifi switches...all sizes/models, many different APs, etc etc. So even for clients we don't sell additional to, we'll have it on our shelf..make a run over, swap...and handle the RMA.

Nada...we just stock up. Larger clients....I include spares in the quote for bigger setups. If a client has a point to point...I'll sell 3...so there's a 3rd right there ready to swap in quick. Stack of switches? Sell at least one more to keep aside. Support...really don't need it.

We also stock up our stock room, keeping several of everything (you've possibly seen some pics here). I have shelves of edgerouters, edgeswitches, USGs, UDMs, Unifi switches...all sizes/models, many different APs, etc etc. So even for clients we don't sell additional to, we'll have it on our shelf..make a run over, swap...and handle the RMA.
That's what I thought, figured I'd ask. I liked having Elite around for that rapid RMA just in case but it's toast now.

Back