[SOLVED] Can't reload from usb or dvd

ell

Reaction score
I've been getting in more macs lately and been learning on the fly (not hardware) I have a 2010 macbook pro A1285 with oem snow leopard dvd. Owner somehow wiped the recovery so I'm trying to get a reload done. I've checked the dvd from my osx box and it seems fine, also made a usb from it to try, same result, just hangs at a grey apple. I reset NVRAM. I booted from a mac utilities drive I made has"Techtools" and checked the disc, partitions, permissions, all fine, it has an option to copy a image to the drive but I don't have a snow leopard one, just high sierra. Stumped, any advice?

Last edited:
Install High Sierra or whatever the latest OS it will take. Put a $50 SSD in first.
Well I've tried two snow leopard dvds and a usb, now I'm going to try and restore a high sierra time machine image from my box to it

well I finally just cloned a high sierra image to it, works but no sound card detected, theres a chime and offline audio so its something with sierra. I reset the vram, verified permissions, no updates available.

Last edited:
What were the symptoms that caused the EU to try to recover it? What did the machine have on it before it went south? Did you do an SMC reset? How did you make the 10.6.3 USB? Apple keeps changing their installers so each one has a slightly different method. Just using Disk Utility to make the USB always has problems.

That model is right at the border line on supported hardware for 10.12. I'd try something earlier. Let me know if you need some help. The troubling part is 10.12 loaded and sound is not working. That indicates a possible hardware issue.

What were the symptoms that caused the EU to try to recover it? I don't know, I only know he messed with quite a bit then threw in the towel. What did the machine have on it before it went south? I presume Snow Leopard, thats the disc he brought with it Did you do an SMC reset? No, havent tried that, just VRAM reset How did you make the 10.6.3 USB? from disk utility and genuine drmg image, just recovered it to the usb Apple keeps changing their installers so each one has a slightly different method. Just using Disk Utility to make the USB always has problems.

That model is right at the border line on supported hardware for 10.12. I'd try something earlier. Let me know if you need some help. The troubling part is 10.12 loaded and sound is not working. That indicates a possible hardware issue.
You're going to laugh, I used a clone of my high sierra box, I was really surprised how well it worked, except for the sound of course. This thing had no recovery partition so booting to recovery can only be done from usb, which is worthless because every time I try to install it fails, if I try to boot from the orig dvd, hangs at grey apple, same with snow leopard usb I made from my box using disk utility recovery with genuine high sierra dmg. The High sierra usb I made boots, but when it tried to install, fail. Now I'm going to try and make a clone of a high sierra vmachine, I don't have any other. I have time or I would have quit by now. Any other thoughts?

Last edited:
to work on macs, to make things easy, you need to have all or most of the bootable versions of OSX on a usb drive. Then boot from one of the versions of the OS(on the usb drive) and run the installer from there to install on the internal drive

to work on macs, to make things easy, you need to have all or most of the bootable versions of OSX on a usb drive. Then boot from one of the versions of the OS(on the usb drive) and run the installer from there to install on the internal drive
yup, thats what I've been doing, high sierra and snow leopard dmg images recovered to usb from disk utility.

Finally found a solution, I installed carbon copy trial in my sierra vmware machine and made a clone to usb drive, booted from my techtools drive and used disk utility to recover the clone to the hd. Done, great learning experience in cloning!

Back