Business operations- How long to spend on a free diagnostic?

I do not offer a free diagnostic at all.
There was one day where i had person after person after person walking in and asking for a diagnostic. It took me all day and I got no other work done.
Ever since, I've implemented a $9.99 diagnostic fee.
This weeds out all the people who are looking for freebies, especially since I tend to charge it right then and there.
If they decide to proceed with my service, I knock it off the bill.
Of course, some clients I had before this that are not wasting my time I let go off the hook, (I've now implemented a diagnostic fee, but for you, it's free) and they love it.
It makes them feel special.
However, this also allows me to pick and choose who I give this free diagnostics too.
I also make no diagnostics over the phone AT ALL. If it cannot be answered with a "Yes" or a "No", It's bring it in, pay 9.99$, and sign an intake form.
Not many clients who aren't being serious go through the trouble.

Overall, I find it sames me a lot of time and money.

EDIT - I am thinking of increasing this to 19.99 or something like that, or just not refunding it.
I'm not sure what to do. For now, i refund it.

ALSO, I am not doing this to be an asswipe, if i crack open the case and the GPU slipped out, or it's something very obvious like a disconnected SATA cable or the power supply switch is turned off, I don't even charge. (Aka if I crack open the side panel and I can do it in under 5 seconds, it's free)

Last edited:
I have a diagnostic fee from $50
Its not just time doing a diag, you've got to consider time booking in a client, advising them off their options and invoicing them too. You get one talkative customer and your 3 minute diag is suddenly 20 minutes. It's not just time we are charging for, is our knowledge and experience too. If we can v diagnose quickly why should we charge less or nothing for being better. We should charge more if anything.

When I offer a free diagnostic, I offer a "Basic" one. This is one where I don't need to open the unit up and take a look at hardware. Since the majority of these are run a scan wait for it to finish, I don't worry about the time if it's reasonable. I can do other things when I'm waiting for the scan to finish. If I have to spend more than 4 hours on a diagnostic, I have to crack the case open, or I have to go to the client location to do it, I don't offer it for free.

Back