Always buy extra shocks.

Reaction score
:mad:Trigger:mad: warning:mad:... The title is incredibly misleading.:oops: This post is about my road to live-streaming, and the "speed bumps" I have faced.

It's a play on words... Buy extra shocks for your car because not even a speed-bump will slow me down... Its clever and you know it!

YOUTUBE LINK: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7xK9D9l-igI_I-qwa3Jc4A?
;)
So firstly I had to come to a decision of money. Is it worth investing any money into my idea, or should I leave it at an idea and move on with life.

I decided to invest $150 (usd) into my idea. Now I already know a bit about OBS (broadcasting software), and I owned a $60 microphone and $25 720p webcam, so I am off to a good start!:D

with my $150. I spent $30 on a Wireless microphone, and $50 on a 1080p webcam.

The webcam arrived first:D, and I am happy with the quality it captures when pointing at my face, or room area:D. When trying to use the webcam to capture overhead/desk repair, I was very displeased:( with the grainy quality.:(

So I decided to ignore budget:eek::eek::eek:, and try a $170:eek: 4k webcam (logitech brio). With Amazon prime, I can try it for 30 days and return for full refund:cool: if I am not pleased. Should have it in a few days.:cool:

I also went to my local (family owned #SupportSmallBusiness;):cool:) camera store, and without any research walked up to the counter:cool:, gave the man a fair warning of my lack of knowledge:confused:, and asked for "a video camera that has HDMI live-view out. I have a capture card that will convert the signal to USB and my livestreaming software can read it. All I need is your experience and recommendation of a QUALITY 4K video camera." after showing me a couple, he had a lightbulb go off:D, and walked straight to a certain camera:D. Said this is exactly what I am looking for that won't break the bank.... Costed $425ish after taxes.... brought it home. plugged it in... my capture card only does 1080p:mad: 30fps:mad:, while the camera 2160p (4k) 30fps:eek:..... Man, do I feel stupid:(:eek::oops:.

4k capture cards arent in budget:(:(:(.... So in a couple days I got to take the camera back and get a refund....:oops:

Now I bought the camera, even though way over budget. I wanted to prove to myself that not even $500 :mad:can solve my aggravation.:mad:

The next day my wireless $30 microphone came in:D. Boy was that a horrible microphone:(. Sounded like radio silence or peaking while whispering:mad::mad:. There was no way the microphone was going to work with my wildly dynamic vocals:mad::D:mad:o_O:oops:. So I printed out the return label and will be returning it in a couple days.

I got a new $40 wireless microphone system today :D(that supports two microphones:eek::D). Even did a livestream of my unboxing and first plug-and-play:eek:;). Quality wise, MUCH BETTER:D. I would rank it as "good":), but I am looking for "great":D or "amazing":D:D:D. So I am holding onto the wireless system, and I ordered higher quality microphones to plug into it:eek::D. Should be getting it in a few days:D:D:D.

Now... If that wasn't confusingo_O enough of a weekend.... here is what my setup will look like once all the new stuff comes in::D:cool:

shoppe:
  • webcam: $170, 4k, for bench/overhead
  • webcam: free, 720p, face/hand cam
  • microphone: $40, wireless transmitter/receiver
  • Microphone pt 2: $30, high quality microphone headset pieces.
  • Capture card: $90, 1080p 30fps

House:
  • Webcam: $50, 1080p
  • Microphone: free, its pretty good.

So at the time of this post.
I am currently looking at a setup of:
$170 webcam
$50 webcam
$90 capture card
$40 wireless system
$30 higher quality microphones
#3 more gray hairs

:eek::eek::eek:

I may be passing my $150 investment allocation, by a lot.... But if $400 keeps me invested enough to keep me trying. Than I see that as worthwhile.:)

I will most likely return the 4k webcam and get a second 1080p cam in its place, saving me $120 and losing little quality.

If you have questions:), want to start making videos/live streaming;), or even be a guest:D. Let me know. I really do love this!:D:D:D

I will continue to post (*assuming a certain couple of mods are okay with this thread;)) updates on my streaming and videos until I get a solid working system, and I no longer need to update my equipment.:cool:

Since I worked as a touring rock and roll sound engineer in another life my suggestions might be a bit high-ended, but for what it's worth I always use a baby mixer (like this - or this) for my sound projects. It lets you use inexpensive low-impedance microphones (like this) that have waaaay better sound quality than conventional high impedance (think guitar plug) microphones that computers support. (They also have phantom power for condenser microphones if that ever becomes a need.) It also allows you to leave several mics plugged in and bring each level up and down independently. I leave three guitars, keyboards and two mics plugged into my recording PC all the time and just bring up or down what I want to use with the mixer. The mixers plug into a PC with an adapter cord.

This is probably way beyond where you want to go but it's mostly to show you can step up to some reasonable quality audio equipment for not much money.

OMG! Never seen so many emoticons in a post!
:):D:D:D

:p;)

my suggestions might be a bit high-ended
OHHHHHHHHH I like high-end suggestions... Just not the $$$ :D

This is probably way beyond where you want to go
That is literally the setup I use at church.... I do the audio there, but for our facebook livestream I use that little mixer so I can get a live headphone feed before it hits the mac (eww) for facebook live.

As someone who has done podcasting, been interviewed via Video etc.. I know how nerve-wracking it can be. Its harder than it looks to get in front of the cam.

So here is my feedback:

If the channel is for the business, Id consider changing the channel name to your business name.

Take a look at the video names and descriptions of your favorite Youtube stars, they tend to be fairly descriptive.
Many viewers will either come from the sidebar, or when it autoplays the next relevant video. With one of your video names being "November 22, 2017", it'll never be a relevant video to what they are currently watching. So it just wont get the traffic.

Im not sure if vertical videos are the right thing. I get that it shows the most of your desk, but very few professional videos on Youtube are vertical.

As for setup, I had a setup similar to what @Diggs is recommending. Mixer, condenser microphone etc.. Its definitely the most versatile setup and fairly standard with the pros.

The issue with condenser mics is while they have amazing sound, they pick up EVERYTHING. So that opens a new can of worms, every chair squeak, thud, car exhaust outside etc..

I ended up simplifying everything and just went with a Rode Podcaster which I like a lot.

I bought nice 1080p 60fps camera to do videos with since I was sick of webcam quality... and then I never published any videos I made with it.

I also have completely useless shocks on the front wheels of my car. I replaced the back ones and they literally just flopped in and out with gravity as you turned 'em upside down and back, almost like in this video below but even worse. I assume my front ones are the same. Some day I'll get around to replacing them and also uploading those videos.

If the channel is for the business, Id consider changing the channel name to your business name.
So here's the thing with this one, because you are one of many telling me this. And the only guy I can point to is Louis Rossmann. I will be doing more of his style, where some are work, some at home, some rants, and some for play. Though I will be putting everything into pre-made playlists in the future.

So part of me doesn't want to label the channel "Mr. Ingram's Computer Repair & Shoppe" as it is more of Jacobs channel who works at Mr. Ingram's Computer.

If that's not confusing, I want it to be about me in my personal and professional life, rather than being strictly professional.

So I am torn on the naming, and that is something I will have to decide here real soon.

With one of your video names being "November 22, 2017", it'll never be a relevant video
AMEN! I agree with you there. That is completely me being to lazy and not creating a good workflow. I will definitely be working on proper naming, descriptions, tagging, and adding to channel playlists.

Im not sure if vertical videos are the right thing. I get that it shows the most of your desk, but very few professional videos on Youtube are vertical.
yeah...... That is with my phone camera. I am a strong advocate against VVS (vertical video syndrome) This WILL BE CHANGED.... As soon as my new setup works...

Friends don't let friends take vertical video...
I KNOW!!! It makes my heart sad that I am have become the very person that I hate... The vertical will stop!

they pick up EVERYTHING. So that opens a new can of worms, every chair squeak, thud, car exhaust outside
This is an unbelievable problem as my shoppe is about 20 feet off of a 45MPH highway... So cars are going 55-60mph (90kmh)

This is why I am working on going with a wireless headset worm mic type, as it will allow freedom over my shoppe, and should be rather high quality.... I hope. We will see in 48 hours!

I ended up simplifying everything
Oh, yeah, I want to keep things to a simple setup too!

But I am not vastly experienced in camera and audio quality. So the best way I know to learn FAST is to just start ordering devices. If it solves my problem, GREAT! If not, return and buy something better!

I do hope to have everything setup by the end of the month. as my home setup being just:
screen capture
1 webcam
and a microphone

I have it up and running for a grand total of $50. and it gives good enough quality for an obvious beginner.

my work setup though is where I want all the fancy equipment including:
screen capture
1 facecam
1 deskcam
wireless microphone

I got the facecam and screen capture down, got 2 deskcams to try out, and a 3rd wireless headset system coming in 24hours with high quality mics coming in 48 hours.

So hopefully you will see some quality content coming out of me here soon!

I really like my Logitech C920 webcam. I also picked up and tested out a Blue Snowball mic once. I was really impressed, the best single mic solution I've seen for recording acoustic guitar and vocals. If I was going to do casual recordings again, I would just get that instead of a mixer + condenser mic + shure sm57

Oh... I didn't even know that!

Still doesn't change that I want a mic a can walk around with.... I know... Stubbornest is going to cost me extra $ and not improve quality, but it's still what I want....
Not sure how you'll be capturing audio, but I used my Bluetooth Plantronics Voyager Edge headset and it sounded very good even with hot air and fume extractor blowing. Has good range too, unlike most other bluetooth headsets I've tried.

Got my setup going!

Home:
$53.55 Logitech C920
$69.99 Samson Meteor Mic USB (already owned)
$06.86 Studio Microphone Mic Wind Screen (already owned)
$15.95 Microphone Suspension Boom Scissor Arm Stand (already owned)

Shoppe:
$76.55 Logitech C930e
$89.99 AGPTEK HDMI Game Capture Card USB 3.0 HD Video 1080P 60FPS
$40.72 Pyle PDWM2145
$23.99 Logitech HD Webcam C310 (already owned)

~~~

So overall I spent:
$377.60

But if you don't include the hardware I already owned the expenses are much more reasonable:
$260.81

Back