Yet another SSD "failure out of nowhere"

5.25 inch Bigfoot drives SPRING to memory
Pancakes of doom!

The only other drive I remember that was that bad, were the 3GB Travelstars... used to call them Deathstars.

Back in the early days of IBM's "Pixie Dust" technology... which oddly enough is how all modern platters are built.

Oh dear lord, don't give me nightmares! Those things could die on the shelf!
Oddly enough that's still a reality for all platter drives... they fail via age, use is irrelevant. But, it does generally take a bit longer than those old pancakes did! XD

they fail via age, use is irrelevant.
I've never seen that happen. I still have some good old 80MB (YES, MEGABYTE!) hard drives from the good old days. I just plugged one of them in a few months ago and it was fine. Haven't used the thing since the 90's and it fired right up.

I've never seen that happen. I still have some good old 80MB (YES, MEGABYTE!) hard drives from the good old days. I just plugged one of them in a few months ago and it was fine. Haven't used the thing since the 90's and it fired right up.
If the device has ball bearing supported platters, yes... that's largely true. Unless the lubricant in the bearings dries out they'll live in effect forever. But modern drives don't use that tech. I'm not sure what they use, but I've seen that bearing fail just sitting there given enough time. That time is measured in decades, but they do still go bad.

Personally I'd trust an SSD on the shelf unplugged far more than a platter. But I also live in a VERY dusty and dry environment that loves to eat things with moving parts of any kind. So it might be my experience is skewed by that reality.

Personally I'd trust an SSD on the shelf unplugged far more than a platter.
Well yeah, me too, but hard drives can still store data for long amounts of time without having to worry about the data. I personally keep my long term storage drives for 10 years before I replace them. I currently have approximately 50TB worth of data in long term storage right now.

Well yeah, me too, but hard drives can still store data for long amounts of time without having to worry about the data. I personally keep my long term storage drives for 10 years before I replace them. I currently have approximately 50TB worth of data in long term storage right now.
If you're using server rated drives they've all got 10 year MTBF ratings so that's not unreasonable. The thing is... the SSDs have that too. Though yeah, it's much cheaper to get large capacity on a platter.

If you're using server rated drives they've all got 10 year MTBF ratings so that's not unreasonable.
No LOL. I'm using WD external HDDs. The difference is they're literally just on the shelf. They're not plugged in or turned on. When I first get them I fire them up and let them run through some tests for a few days, then I fill them up and put them on the shelf for 10 years, only accessing the data very rarely (like once a year or so). Been doing this for 20 odd years now and I've never had a failure.

I don’t even have a device that can read IDE anymore. I’ve got 20 year old data but I shoved that to the cloud.
That's what this thing is for: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-5-25-INCH-Converter-Activity-USB-DS12/dp/B0758RP5V8

I have an older model on my bench that I argue is better because it doesn't provide power to the device, leaving me the ability to use a standard power supply on it. But I use it next to never, I have used it... but again next to never. But it is handy to have the 2.5" and 3.5" pin headers to connect ancient drives around.

That's what this thing is for: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-5-25-INCH-Converter-Activity-USB-DS12/dp/B0758RP5V8

I have an older model on my bench that I argue is better because it doesn't provide power to the device, leaving me the ability to use a standard power supply on it. But I use it next to never, I have used it... but again next to never. But it is handy to have the 2.5" and 3.5" pin headers to connect ancient drives around.
I've seen them but honestly who, even on old an old PC, doesn't have SATA now? I don't touch out of support software, like XP or 9x. If someone needs access to that I will push them to someone else. Not going to buy up a bunch of hardware I'll never use.

I've seen them but honestly who, even on old an old PC, doesn't have SATA now? I don't touch out of support software, like XP or 9x. If someone needs access to that I will push them to someone else. Not going to buy up a bunch of hardware I'll never use.
Probably two to three times a year someone shows up that needs data off ancient hardware. It's not about support, it's about being able to read stuff off those old disks. I didn't buy my connector for the IDE connections, they just sort of came along for the ride because mine also does SATA. But even if I didn't, the cable is so cheap that having the tool handy is worth it to me. Because shops tend to do what you're doing.

So the $20 cable has more than paid for itself in IDE file copy jobs over the years. But yes, they are exceedingly rare these days.

@Sky-Knight

I've been using that sort of thing since "the early days" and have never thrown it away. I can't recall the last time I did, but I like knowing that if someone presents me with an ancient, non-proprietary connection drive I can at the very least take a look at what's there and get it off.

I used to have an old system for data recovery that had IDE and SATA but the board died 3 maybe 4 years ago now and I have not been presented with a need in the meantime. Just like no one has handed me a floppy disk in 10 years. I have somewhere an FDD/USB drive but I'd have to search for it.

LOL I still support a few dozen DOS/9x systems that only have IDE. Obviously I'm not using the original hard drives. I have one client who owns an entire shopping center whose phone system relies on an ancient DOS system to keep everyone connected. I have no idea how the system works and I don't care. I just swap out parts when it breaks and charge them a fortune. I keep an image of their drive in my shop, on-site, and in the cloud.

I have another client who owns a small local fast food restaurant. Their entire POS system is running on an old 486 with no way to upgrade it unless they replace all their equipment. Runs their intercom system and everything.

You have to understand that I was 4 years old when Windows 95 came out. My experience with these old systems is from when I first started screwing around with computers when I was 5-7 years old. I can muddle my way through, but I don't understand these systems on a low level. I understand the basics of DOS and I know pretty much all there is to know about that old hardware (at least when it comes to diagnosing and replacing failed components). That's pretty much all I've needed to know.

I'll service anything a client brings in. I work on old a$$ computers all the time. I'm the only one in my area who will even touch anything XP or older, and that cutoff is quickly changing to Windows 7. I just upgraded a Windows 7 system yesterday. It had a 250GB SSD (that I had upgraded previously) and a 1TB hard drive that were both pretty much completely full. I imaged both drives to a 1TB SSD and a 2TB hard drive and charged the guy $750. He uses it for old games so couldn't upgrade beyond Windows 7 (32-bit). It's a 2nd gen i5 anyway so it wouldn't work well on Win10.

@sapphirescales I've resurrected old PBXs that use IDE too. I use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Syba-Insertion-Connects-Interface-SD-CF-IDE/dp/B000YUMLPI With an industrial CF.

Nothing quite like replacing an ancient IDE platter with basically a really slow SSD and charging a fortune for it because you don't really want to support it.

With my 3D Printer I can make custom mounting brackets for all of this crap now... and it's all a pile of Meh because the work just doesn't show up frequently enough to matter.

the work just doesn't show up frequently enough to matter.
You need to become well known in your area for working on vintage hardware. I work on old stuff all the time. Most of my clients who bring in old stuff like that don't need ongoing support. They usually just want help getting it working again and once it does they tend to last years and years before something else breaks. Hardware was made much better quality back then.

I probably work on a few dozen systems a year that are XP or older. It's not not like it makes up most of my income or anything, but it's not insignificant either. I have a story on here about a guy who sent me a bunch of old G4 era Apple hardware that he wanted refurbished. Made thousands off that one guy.

Back