Working on a tech app

Kirby

Reaction score
I am working on a new C# project inspired by this place and my virus woes last week. Currently it lets me disable anything running cmd.exe, iexplore.exe, regsvr32.exe and mshta.exe, the latter 2 being seen to be run by the virus I was removing on startup. It also gives a list of the computer stats, OS, SP, memory, processor, processor socket, etc. It also lets me kill all processes of a given name such as all running copies of "iexplore.exe". The last thing I have planned for it is a comprehensive deletion of Temp files. That button goes into a new screen where you check boxes to decide what to delete. As I have it planned (time permitting) it will count up all the files, folders and the space the files take up and display that for each potential location, but it's the one part of the program I haven't even started on yet except for screen design.

The purpose of this app is going to be essentially a tool to aid in virus removal, but not actually remove viruses. If I get an infected machine I can drop this in the Startup folder with "Always on top" enabled (can be changed instantly with a checkbox) and it will allow me to quickly and easily do all the things I might want to do in order to try to remove the virus manually. Personally, I get off on manual virus removal. It's the last thing I love about computers; pitting my skills against a virus that doesn't want to go.

What I'm wondering is two things. First, would anyone else find something like this useful and, second, are there any features I am missing? I'm not planning on making it a huge, bloated app, but I do kind of want it to have a Swiss Army Knife range of useful, commonly used features. The main focus was virus removal, but if it's something that I would use on a regular basis for a variety of issues, but still "lightweight", that would be cool.

As for my skills, I am pretty amateur with C#. I can always get the job done, even when I have to splice in C++ code like I had to for my "Stuck Keys" program to detect what keys are down on the keyboard, but if a "real" programmer were to look at my code his eyes would probably throw up. When I don't know something I ask my good friend Google. That dude always seems to know how to code what I want, or at least if it's not possible.

Back