[REQUEST] Wiring trouble

Reaction score
I started managing a hotel about a month ago and the manager has given me a new project. He wants the wiring closet to be neater.So the manger does not want to put in a new rack. He wants to utilize the one that is standing up by attaching a cabinet on top of it... Any ideas on how this could be done without welding? Any suggestions are appreciated.
20161226_164411-compressor.jpg

It would be cheaper to just purchase a new taller 2 rail 'Relay Rack' like the one on the right. There is no cheap way to extend it higher without custom building one. If they don't want to buy a new one, check out Craigs List or eBay for a good used one.

You are going to have to by rack ears for all of those devices on shelves anyway

Agree with Merc...for the time and money, just order a new 45U 2 post floor mounted rack, can get them in the mid $200 range...and replace that little shorty 22 or whatever U it is.

Or if you can find the manufacturer of the existing one...can perhaps order just the 45U side posts and top cross bar (or maybe reuse that top cross bar too)...and replace the vertical side rails only, leaving the mounting plates bolted into the floor. But once you go taller, consider a ladder bracket to brace it against the back wall for stability.

Order a buncha shelf units too.

Have fun, nice mess there!

Considering that a new 45u 2 post rack is in the $170 range, that is not the expensive part. The real cost will be the labor. And to do this properly you'll need to plan this out in detail to minimize outage problems. Tough to see from one picture but it probably would run into 4-5 hours of prep with cable labeling, etc, then at least a couple of overnights to get the heavy lifting done, more if there is a lot of cable management. If you have to And don't assume that all base plate holes are laid out the same. And you definitely want a ladder rack at the top for stability as well as cable management. And they should have some more AC outlets as well. But, all in all, looks pretty typical in what I see in hotel MDF's.

In reality it's very doubtful that their are willing to spend that kind money. Been to many hotels and if it's not a $200 solution they are not interested unless it solves real problems. And kludging together some "solution" will come back at you with even the slightest problem.

I apologize for not responding to you all's suggestions. I have been moving around a lot. They are all great. Here are more pics.
20161117_162644.jpg
20161117_162639.jpg
20161117_162719.jpg

Put one 45U 2 post where the wall mounted cabinet is(having it face the same direction), put everything that was in that box onto the rack, get rid of the power strip, get a PDU, and get rid of the 20U and hire a maid for the dust! You might get away with using the existing shelves (that are supposed to be on the the rack anyway) and see if you can order extra ears for everything that's rack mountable. That APC looks like a convertible and more than enough to handle the network equipment there, and you may also get away with throwing that at the bottom of the rack and getting rid of the 350 on the ground. Just sayin'.....IMO

Wow... I'm not even a network guy by any means and I'd walk away from that!

I see multiple gateways, and what appear to be at least one or two consumer grade
4 port routers / switches. The D-Link may be iffy at best, while most switches with
that many ports aren't exactly made for walmart specials... I haven't know D-Link to
be super reliable either.

Is any of it labeled?

Thank you all for the suggestions. I was able to convince the manager to get a rack. But he was the rack in front of the cage. Plus he wants the cage door to be able to close with the cables flowing to the rack.... Nothing is labeled.

Back