Windows Vista - networking not working

joydivision

Reaction score
Got a problem with Vista Home Premium it won't get an IP address from any network (wireless, etherner etc). I have tried the official Microsoft registery tweak but had no luck.

Any ideas?

It will connect but won't get the IP address from the router.

Got a problem with Vista Home Premium it won't get an IP address from any network (wireless, etherner etc). I have tried the official Microsoft registery tweak but had no luck.

Any ideas?

It will connect but won't get the IP address from the router.
What else have you tried? You're not giving us much here.
"It will connect but no IP"... more specifics?

Its not a router issue.

Simply if I connect via ethernet or via the wireless it connects but the IP address is 169..... its not the default gateway. It dosn't matter what router I try to connect to they all do the same.

Its a windows fault some where. The drivers all seem fine and ti will show all the wireless networks which are availible to connect to.

I had the same problem with Vista about a month ago. It turned out having a bad hard drive with SMART errors so I ended up just doing a N&P. I am not sure if the problem was associated to the hard drive problem, a virus or root kit, or just a corrupted install.

More and more I am finding that Vista needs to be reloaded more then any other Windows OS I have worked with, even ME.

When I had this problem I tried everything. Reset network settings, new NIC, common host file and proxy settings. When I set the IP address static it still would not get on line.

You can try this from the console as admin

ipconfig /flushdns
nbtstat -R
nbtstat -RR
netsh int reset all
netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset

This should reset all network settings in Vista, however when I had the problem that didn't help.

So you're saying wired or wireless you can't get an ip address from one router? I won't ask about Wireshark because no-one seems to use it :) Have you tried another computer? Has it got Norton installed? Is the firewall on the computer turned on? What does ipconfig /all list? do an ipconfig /all > c:\ipconfig.txt and post it on here. There are many things it can be. When did the problem start? Was it working at one time and stopped? You say it will connect, what do you mean by that? Have you tried a fixed ip address etc?

Back