Windows Repair Toolbox

Hi all, here's a little tutorial in how to add Ninite installers to the "Custom Tools" tab list.
The advantages are that the Ninite installers are always updated and don't contain adware.

Here are some finished examples:
<LINKS title="Google Chrome" link="https://ninite.com/chrome/ninite.exe" exe="chrome_ninite.exe"/>
<LINKS title="Firefox" link="https://ninite.com/firefox/ninite.exe" exe="firefox_ninite.exe"/>
<LINKS title="Opera" link="https://ninite.com/operaChromium/ninite.exe" exe="opera_ninite.exe"/>

- Go to Ninite website, choose one or more aplications, and click "Get Your Ninite".

- Go to the "Downloads" section of your browser and copy the download link. Use it when creating the entry in "custom.xml" file. You can use the examples above as a reference.

- Rename the .exe name from "ninite.exe" to something more significant in order to avoid conflicts. As you can see, in the examples above i added a prefix, e.g.: "ninite.exe" changed to "opera_ninite.exe" (but do not change the .exe name in the download link itself).

Hello everyone, version 1.9.0.5 of Windows Repair Toolbox is now available:

- WRT can now start in a reduced functionality mode (safe mode). Use this mode whenever you're working in a machine that has problems and you're unable to start or use the program normally. To do it, just run the “start_WRT_in_reduced_functionality_mode.bat” batch file (it's in the same folder as Windows_Repair_Toolbox.exe). Alternatively, you can run WRT from the Command Prompt using the /safe argument. This replaces and is a different and better implementation of the startup in minimal mode that was added in the first versions of WRT, and that would no longer work in the latest versions.

print1.jpg

- Added a lower time-out to the program and definitions updater that runs at startup.

- In the “Settings” tab, under the “Unattended Fix scan settings” groupbox, the scan settings will only show if the correspondent tool is selected to run in the “Malware Removal” tab.

print2.jpg

As always, your feedback is welcome.

Thanks.

Problem was that I tried to "Run As Administrator"
Running without elevation works fine.
Which begs the question, why cant I run the bat file with elevated privileges?

Hi @Barcelona , I'm from the phone atm, so I cannot test it right now. It is supposed to run both ways (I tested this before releasing and it was working). Anyone else experiencing the same? Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: GTP
@Barcelona , I've confirmed what you reported. It will happen if the .bat file is executed from a location that is not the system drive. I'll look into it. Anyway, because WRT itself will require elevation, it's not needed to run the .bat file as administrator.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks @AlexCa
I've also noticed that I seem to get a lot of "Not Responding" with this version?
Had it happen on 3 computers so far. Seems to take a longer time to open as well.
Also, I like to quickly jot down notes in WRT as I'm working. Would it be possible to have those notes stay in the notes section? (Yeah, I'm too lazy to save them out!)
Would just save some time if the notes were there next time. :D

@AlexCa -still having problem with WRT crashing when downloading/running Crystaldiskinfo....fixed. It was LogicNow(SolarWinds) managed a/v killing the process. Whitelisted and resolved
:)

@Barcelona , here's how to fix the .bat file: just edit it and replace the line cd %~dp0 with cd /d %~dp0
This will make it change to the correct directory when the .bat is right-clicked and "run as administrator".

Cool, thanks @AlexCa
I've also noticed that I seem to get a lot of "Not Responding" with this version?
Had it happen on 3 computers so far. Seems to take a longer time to open as well.
Also, I like to quickly jot down notes in WRT as I'm working. Would it be possible to have those notes stay in the notes section? (Yeah, I'm too lazy to save them out!)
Would just save some time if the notes were there next time. :D

I haven't made any change in this version that would cause that. I believe that it might be caused by antivirus, because this is a new version of the program (a new .exe, not popular and not digitally signed, running on the machine). For instance, I've just found out that BitDefender Total Security 2017 blocks this new version of WRT (1.9.0.5) from connecting to the internet, and that that didn't happen with the previous version (version 1.9.0.4). Try to disable the AV's and see how it goes. Note to myself: must consider to digitally sign the program.

About the "Notes", you'll only need to save them once to a file :) After your first saving, they are automatically saved every minute and before the program closes. If I do the way you're saying, when you take the pendrive with WRT to another computer, the notes that you've written for the one you have worked before would be there. The way it is now, you can create separated and identified files inside the pendrive, and load them in the correspondent computers as you're working.

I believe that it might be caused by antivirus, because this is a new version of the program (a new .exe, not popular and not digitally signed, running on the machine).
Impossible for it to be AV because the three computers have no AV installed. They also have Defender disabled in Services.msc.
For instance, I've just found out that BitDefender Total Security 2017 blocks this new version of WRT (1.9.0.5) from connecting to the internet
I had a client computer with Bitdefender Total Security 2017 that I worked on yesterday without issue. It did not stop WRT 1.9.0.5 from updating or downloading new versions of tools either.

when you take the pendrive with WRT to another computer, the notes that you've written for the one you have worked before would be there.
This would be ideal, because I like to write notes to remember tasks (I'm getting old and forgetful!) and being able to just click the "Notes" tab and have them there would be better for me. ;)

@Barcelona
I had yesterday one user reporting me that WRT could not connect to the internet in the last few days. It got solved by disabling the BitDefender Total Security 2017. Maybe this will work for others aswell.

About the notes, I'll take another look, but for the moment I prefer to keep it as it is now.

About the "not responding", the symptom in those machines is that WRT gets a "not responding", in the title bar, every few seconds while nothing is being done in the program?

If yes, please try to: go to "Settings" > "Enable Minimal mode". If it doesn't work, try to restart the program in reduced functionality mode. If possible, please let me know if it worked.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi @AlexCa I've gone back to the previous version of WRT. 1.9.0.4
The new version is continually "Not Responding" and takes forever to load. Most times it fails to load altogether.

Hi @AlexCa I've gone back to the previous version of WRT. 1.9.0.4
The new version is continually "Not Responding" and takes forever to load. Most times it fails to load altogether.

Hey Greg, I'm sorry for your troubles! So far I've been using 1.9.0.5 in Win7 and 10 machines without problems :/ But they all are somewhat similar since they all have the same image, so I'm missing a more diverse experience like the one you have in a repair shop.

I know that sometimes the program might take some time to load or might not even load, because it attempts to retrieve lots of info to display in the panels and also continually attempts to keep that info updated, and that might be a problem in a screwed up Windows machine, or in a machine that has an AV that interferes with WRT. That's why I made the safe mode, where all that stuff is not even loaded. But In my experience, it's rare to have to use it. I only had a handful of machines where the program wouldn't load.

The other thing is that I haven't made significant changes from 1.9.0.4 to 1.9.0.5 that might cause such a consistent difference in the experience. If more people can please give a run to the latest version of WRT and share their experience here, that would help a lot.

Meanwhile, Greg, can you try to download a fresh copy of WRT and run it from the same media from where you're running 1.9.0.4 (just to rule out problems in the media: i had one user that was having troubles running WRT - from a presumably damaged external hdd - , and everything worked fine when he ran it from a pen drive)?

Last edited:
Hey Greg, I'm sorry for your troubles! So far I've been using 1.9.0.5 in Win7 and 10 machines without problems :/ But they all are somewhat similar since they all have the same image, so I'm missing a more diverse experience like the one you have in a repair shop......
I've tried different media, such as a 1TB ext HDD, various USB keys and even went "old school" and burnt it to a CD-R!
It's the same.
The machines I'm using it on are all reformatted Windows 7 and 8.1, default installs from original DVD's, no 3rd party programs loaded initially, no 3rd party AV, Windows defender Disabled.
WRT 1.9.0.4 loads in about 4~5 seconds. I can work with my Custom Tools without problems.
WRT 1.9.0.5 takes up to 5~6 minutes to load, if at all, and starts "Not Responding" almost immediately. If I just leave it be for a few minutes it comes back to life but a minute or two later it stop responding again.
I've notice that the computers (all of them) become very sluggish and tasks seem to take a long time to complete when 1.9.0.5 is "Not Responding".
Opening a window (Eg: opening the Download Folder) fails to display it's content until WRT starts responding again.
Hope this helps?
Edit: I should add that the 8 machines are 5th Gen Core i5, 6th Gen Core i7 and two AMD FX 8370 Processors, with between 4GB and 8GB Ram.

Last edited:
Back