[SOLVED] Windows PE, with USB3 Drivers

PBComputer

Reaction score
I have a system in it only has USB3 ports on it. The owner has tried for a few weeks to get Windows 7 installed and can't so asked me to do it. I have a up to date image of Windows 7 Pro x64 I updated today for the job.

I have my PE media but need to add USB 3 drivers to it. I have no idea where to start.

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction or maybe they have an ISO I can kindly borrow.

i need the PE so I can install via WIM.

Thank You in Advance.

I found a way to get the wim on while downloading the file. copy the contents of my pe media to a new folder on my dart iso for Windows 10. Boot to the iso navigate to the folder and run imagex installs fine. But boot into Windows 7 and there is no drivers for the keyboard and mouse working all on USB 3 ports.

Yeah It's an OEM version not retail. It's a custom build.

I did think of installing the wim on a virtual PC, installing the drivers of the system it's going on a (gb-bace-3000) not generalizing it. re-capturing the wim, then there is a smal change the WIM might work.

Or installing W10 seeing if there is any firmware upgrades.

Last edited:
Why not go to the MB manufacturers site and get the drivers? Or, SDI?

Snappy or the Manufacturer's drivers would work but the problem hits when I get to oobe on Windows 7 the keyboard and mouse will not work as there is no USB2 port only USB3.

I tried to install Windows 10 today W10 can't see the hard drive and there is no RST driver for the hard drive.

Ideas:
  1. Autounattend.xml answer file, I've never done it down to the partition creating level, but you could script the whole install from Windows media
  2. Some OEMs have actual PE driver sections of their website that you can get PE drivers from (and I integrate them into the WIM file myself). I know HP does this, and I think others OEMs would be similar.

All installed and working, for the fun of it. I grabbed a spare hard drive installed Windows 7 on a bench machine, entered audit mode. Installed the USB3 drivers shut the system down, plugged the drive into the real PC, and I had working USB ports. from there. I installed all the other drivers. then sysprepted the machine. cloned the hard drive to the clients installed it into the machine, and it's all working.

If you are using Autounattend.xml I found this site which makes the files in a few clicks http://windowsafg.no-ip.org/

Glad you got it resolved. However, I must say I have never ran into the issue you had. Even when all USB ports were USB3, they are all backwards compatible with 2.0, 1.1, etc. But what I did not think about, was what if you enabled OSKB? Onscreen Keyboard?

Back