Windows 10 update issues

BO Terry

Reaction score
I have a client computer that is having issues with Windows updates. It is a Windows 10 pro OS, Dell Optiplex 9020 with i5 processor. It is joined to a domain and they use static ip's. this issue is the same while in the office as well in my home office with Wi-Fi and a DHCP obtained IP. When I started with it yesterday, it was on version 1709/build 16299.547. I was able to get it to version 1803/17134.320 after running the reset windows update tool but am receiving update errors after that completed.

Error:
We couldn't connect to the update service. We'll try again later, or you can check now. If it still doesn't work, make sure you're connected to the Internet.

I have tried running:
DISM.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and then sfc /scannow in powershell and in cmc with admin rights.

I have tried running Windows update troubleshooter which has sometimes not found any issues and sometimes referenced rebuild Windows Update database.

After several commands:
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
Clear Software Distribution folder etc
I was able to go from 1709 to 1803 but after the required reboot, I went back to the original message.

Thanks for any insights.

Have you tried Windows Repair All in One? I've seen it fix some perplexing Windows Update issues, I believe by resetting permissions.

Not yet but will this morning. I have not used this often and one time that I did it actually messed up the install completely forcing me to go to a restore point.

Are there particular pieces of this utility recommended to use and some to avoid?

Not yet but will this morning. I have not used this often and one time that I did it actually messed up the install completely forcing me to go to a restore point.

Are there particular pieces of this utility recommended to use and some to avoid?
I generally just let it run on the presets, but I do the disk check / sfc / registry export and restore point / run in safe mode steps that they recommend. I tend to use it a few times a month when I am stumped about some issue, and have had very good luck with it fixing whatever the problem was. In my memory it only borked a system so I had to restore one time, but there have been plenty of times when it didn't solve the issue. It's what i would call a "worth a try" step, as it's so easy to run, and works often enough.

I would also suggest you do a system image backup.
It's always nice to get back to where you started when things go really bad.

Yes, I actually had a spare drive so took the time to clone it before doing anything with tweaking.com. Still no luck yet even after running the repair with tweaking twice.

After running tweaking utility, (all repairs) with no success, I put the spare/cloned drive and used the Reset / keep files option. The same error message still exists after the reset (We couldn't connect to the update service. We'll try again later, or you can check now. If it still doesn't work, make sure you're connected to the Internet). The only thing I have left is formatting the drive and reinstalling everything.

The defaults, if I remember properly have some W10 stuff unchecked. Did you have everything checked off?
I used the defaults on the All Repair and tried later with the Windows Update repair. Under All Repair, the only thing unchecked (and this was the default setting) was Repair Windows 8/10 App Store (Completely Reset App Store). The default setting includes Repair Windows 8/10 App Store. It only allows one or the other.

If memory serves me correctly, this is a generic/user friendly error displayed in the Windows Update section of the Settings app. It could be something like Windows Update is failing to connect to WU related servers or failing to interact properly with the core Windows Services that WU functionality depends on.

Honestly, you need to uncover the real errors that are occurring. Like already mentioned, using the get-windowsupdatelog PowerShell cmdlet is going to help you get that investigative side started. You will also want to check CBS and DISM log files too.

If you want a second set of eyes on this, post up the Windows Update, CBS, and DISM log files along with logs from FRST.

I have just run into this issue again. Same brand/model computer (possibly the same computer) at same client's office. Updated today from 1803 to 1809 by downloading Windows 10 upgrade. That installed but I still get the error message when I click "check for updates". "We couldn't connect to the update service. We'll try again later, or you can check now. If it still doesn't work, make sure you're connected to the Internet."

I have:
Cloned the client drive (ssd) to another drive (spinning) just to be safe and conducted all testing on the cloned version.
Confirmed activation.
Confirmed time/date/region and language are correct.
Performed a clean boot.
Run Windows all in one repair.
Run separate sfc /scannow
Run separate check disk
I ran the Dell Software Support tool and updated the BIOS and display driver. No other issues detected.

Still get the same error message. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Honestly, you need to uncover the real errors that are occurring. Like already mentioned, using the get-windowsupdatelog PowerShell cmdlet is going to help you get that investigative side started. You will also want to check CBS and DISM log files too.

If you want a second set of eyes on this, post up the Windows Update, CBS, and DISM log files along with logs from FRST.

Attached are the logs mentioned above. Thanks for any assistance!

Attachments

• Logs.zip
    695.6 KB · Views: 8
quick look shows me corrupted files a chkdsk /f C: (Which was done) and a dism cleanup https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image for starters would help also related to one of the error message I saw in the update log you seem to have Windows Store errors too.. here a few extra steps for good measure

https://ugetfix.com/ask/how-to-fix-error-code-0x80240438-on-windows-10/

:confused: edit : check the proxy step from ugetfix... something points to http://SERVER08.rgc.local:7204/ClientWebService/client.asmx'. so my question is a local update server hooked on a proxy?

Ok on wsus offline update you choose what you want to update and do a checkmark on make the install folder to run the updates.

WSUS should work unless the windows has a non genuine license then it won't work. It's a 2 step process you need to download the updates to a folder then you can run the updater from the files it creates in a folder.

Give me a minute I'll re-edit this post with all the steps.

Edit :

Download Version 11.6.2.

Unzip wsusoffline1162.zip
go to the folder wsusoffline1162\wsusoffline
run UpdateGenerator.exe
check mark on either w10 86 or 64 bit
Check mark under USB medium
choose a folder(Create) on the desktop
check mark clean up target directory
Click Start
Once done go to the folder you created on your desktop
run the executable then click start
a dos window will show up at the end of that window it may ask you to reboot and restart the program
this takes about 3-4 reboots
once done the windows updates themselves will kick in for the rest unless a proxy setting or firewall is blocking it but for that issue check my previous post for answers

Last edited:
Back