[REQUEST] Windows 10 - No HDD found on Dell G3 3579

catqueenbb

Reaction score
Thank you for reading my post. My apologies if this is a duplicate thread. I have googled every possible solution, tried and failed.

A customer had some issues with some ransomware and asked me to wipe it off. I proceeded to clean his windows 10 computer.

Since the reset option failed ,I went on and downloaded a free windows 10 trial ISO from Microsoft and created a bootable Windows 10 USB thumb drive.

Boot from it, the installation went well. It restarted and started saying”no boot device found. Press any key to reboot the machine”

I went in the Bios and found out that the HDD was missing/not showing from the boot sequence tab.

Ran diagnostics- results came as no problems been found on the system- all tests passed. HDD was found in good state.

I also used an existing windows 10 clean image on a ssd to clone on this one(SATA). I installed the customer sata hdd to a laptop , boot from it and everything worked well, windows 10 launched without no issue. Thought I had resolved the issue, but my happiness was temporary.

When I installed the client's hdd into his computer. The issue reoccured, it said the same thing —no device was found.

My last attempt was setting it up for legacy boot and reinstalled windows 10. Once again the installation went well, but then said No boot device found

I am out of options and scratching my head.

Has anyone encountered this kind of issue? if so, how were you able to fix it?

Will appreciate any suggestions/ recommendations.

Thank you in advance.

Just because the drive passed tests doesn’t mean that the drive is good. Test with a new drive to confirm the drive is bad or that you have a faulty motherboard.

Looks like BIOS configuration issue. This legacy / CSM option is awful. Don't forget to reboot after each change...

Make sure the bootable USB is created as GPT/UEFI. You'll need the saved ISO file from microsoft, and use the utility Rufus to make the USB.

Then turn off legacy boot and try installing again. Remove all partitions from the drive during the install, and continue with just unallocated space.

Just because the drive passed tests doesn’t mean that the drive is good. Test with a new drive to confirm the drive is bad or that you have a faulty motherboard.
Yes I understand your point. I installed a new hard drive and I got the same result. The client hard drive however works well. Windows 10 boots well on my spare computer

Make sure the bootable USB is created as GPT/UEFI. You'll need the saved ISO file from microsoft, and use the utility Rufus to make the USB.

Then turn off legacy boot and try installing again. Remove all partitions from the drive during the install, and continue with just unallocated space.

Roger that :) I will try that tomorrow and update you.

Thank you so much. Followed your instructions and now windows 10 works like a charm. You really helped me a lot. I really appreciate your help

Yes I understand your point. I installed a new hard drive and I got the same result. The client hard drive however works well. Windows 10 boots well on my spare computer
Then that is a board level issue. Check the service tag and see if it's under warranty still or under Premium Support.

In your initial post, you didn't state whether or not the client was residential or a business client nor whether or not you purchased the laptop for said client or client purchased it.

As a Dell reseller/partner, every single machine I purchase gets a minimum of the 2 years Premium Support warranty.

Last edited:
Thank you so much. Followed your instructions and now windows 10 works like a charm. You really helped me a lot. I really appreciate your help
No problem. I always have both GPT/UEFI and MBR installers available. Occasionally one works but not the other.

The MBR ones should work with UEFI, but you need to choose the UEFI option on the boot menu instead of the legacy option for that drive. The GPT drive forces the use of UEFI.

Then that is a board level issue. Check the service tag and see if it's under warranty still or under Premium Support.

In your initial post, you didn't state whether or not the client was residential or a business client nor whether or not you purchased the laptop for said client or client purchased it.

As a Dell reseller/partner, every single machine I purchase gets a minimum of the 2 years Premium Support warranty.

I will add more details next time :) The client was a residential client. He had purchased it from best buy and had brought it to me for repair.

Back