Windows 10: Installing using the 10586 (Threshhold 2) ISOs

glricht

Reaction score
Recently, I needed to upgrade one Win 7 PC to Win 10 and do a clean install of Win 10 on a second PC. Decided to use the newly re-released 1511 20586 (Threshhold 2) Win 10 ISOs. This is the Win 10 version that you can also install using a Win 7/8 product key.

Update the Media Creation Tool (MCT)
I had a copy of the MCT, but decided to re-download it and am glad I did as the MCT has been updated. (See https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and click "Download Tool Now")
The new MCT allows you to download a single Win 10 image containing both 32-bit and 64-bit and both Home and Pro versions. Finally, an AIO Universal Window 10 installer!
  1. Download and invoke the MCT
  2. Select "Create Installation media for another PC"
  3. For Language: select your desired language
  4. For Edition, select "Windows 10"
  5. For Architecture: select "Both" to get both 32-bit and 64-bit on one media
  6. Click Next and specify where you want the media placed
Upgrading an existing Windows
Updating an existing Windows installation (must be genuine and activated) is done by executing the update program while Windows is running:
  1. Insert the CD (if that's what you downloaded) into the PC and run "SETUP.EXE" if autoplay hasn't automatically started it
  2. The appropriate version of Win 10 (Home/Pro, 32-bit/64-bit) will be used automatically
  3. If prompted for a license, click "skip" or "ask me later"
  4. When the upgrade finishes, Win 10 should be automatically activated
Clean Install
  1. Boot the PC using the media created by the MCT
  2. If the media contains both 32-bit and 64-bit, you are prompted for the desired architecture
  3. You are prompted for the product key. (MS says you can enter any valid key for Win 7/8/10 here, but I haven't tested this.) I click "I Don't Have A Product Key" and then set the product key after Win 10 is installed -- if activation is required.
  4. You are prompted whether to install Win 10 Home or Pro
    (if you entered a product key in step 3, make sure you select the version that matches the key)
  5. The remainder of the install proceeds as usual
  6. After the install finishes, check if Windows is activated. If it's not, you'll need to enter the product key (control panel -> system)

Hope this write-up helps somebody.

Back