Windows 10 "Freeze" after PIN Sign In

desktop "freezes", that is, throws up the background photo, does not populate with icons. The pointer appears, can be move with the mouse, but left clicking anywhere on the background or taskbar results in the small blue circle that rotates "forever". Right clicking calls up the display properties window, but does nothing.
I actually had that happen to one of my computers on patch tuesday. I played with it a few minutes and restored my Macrium backup. Ran the CU from my usb and no issue after that. That was the first issue I have ever seen with any win 10 system.
This is why I preach and do monthly backups.

Selling point for an external backup with monthly image backups. Could have been fixed intact in less than an hour in most cases.

Hopefully you're doing this on an image of the patient.

Have you checked the EU's profile for file problems when the drive is slaved? As in does the directory structure look ok? Can you open files?

Something like this I'll do 2 drive images to known good drives. The reason for two is the belts and suspenders thing. Then go to town on one of the images. First thing I'd try it the W10 refresh in recovery mode. If that doesn't work then I'd use a bootable PE like Gandalf and get rid of MBAM.

Hopefully you're doing this on an image of the patient.

Have you checked the EU's profile for file problems when the drive is slaved? As in does the directory structure look ok? Can you open files?

Something like this I'll do 2 drive images to known good drives. The reason for two is the belts and suspenders thing. Then go to town on one of the images. First thing I'd try it the W10 refresh in recovery mode. If that doesn't work then I'd use a bootable PE like Gandalf and get rid of MBAM.

Hi Mark, I appreciate you weighing in! I could use some education on what (and how) to check file problems on the slaved drive. Yes, I can open files. The structure is not good. Most of the important files and folders are placed in One Drive and then spread around. Different Excel file versions, files places in multiple folders and worked on (updated) separately. A real mess. Shared between a husband and wife with a laptop and and desktop on the same Microsoft account.

Your wisdom re: belts and suspenders is much appreciated. At this point, I am copying files and attaching them to emails so they can use the second computer linked to their microsoft account to edit their spreadsheets. Stop-gap, I know. But it is working for them (temporarily).

Mike

I had this happen last week, looks like an update that was taken on the 15th. You're lucky enough to be able to press keys. Nothing worked from what I could see. I couldn't right click and restart to get in to the trouble shooting tools. I tried a boot usb and ran restore points thinking it was an update, but the two automatic updates that were there failed. I couldn't access the drive, but the drive tested fine in HDD tests.

From what I could find it is a service that is freezing, credentials manager. but I couldn't access the drive for some reason. And both failed to restore. I ended up backing up all data and restoring the os, was becoming time consuming, seemed to update fine after that was done with no problems.

When I seen this, I was hoping I could get some more info.

I had this happen last week, looks like an update that was taken on the 15th. You're lucky enough to be able to press keys. Nothing worked from what I could see. I couldn't right click and restart to get in to the trouble shooting tools. I tried a boot usb and ran restore points thinking it was an update, but the two automatic updates that were there failed. I couldn't access the drive, but the drive tested fine in HDD tests.

From what I could find it is a service that is freezing, credentials manager. but I couldn't access the drive for some reason. And both failed to restore. I ended up backing up all data and restoring the os, was becoming time consuming, seemed to update fine after that was done with no problems.

When I seen this, I was hoping I could get some more info.
Nice to know I am not alone. I am thinking about using solutioni #3 in this help link: https://windowsreport.com/11939-credential-manager-no-working-windows-8/

What do you think?

What do you think?
I doubt it. If you can not use a restore point, You are wasting valuable time not backing up and clean installing. It is not your fault the user does not keep proper up to date image backups. You can only work with you are given. You are not a magician. ;)

If the user does not like it and does not want to be caught in this position in the future then after this "crisis" needs to keep it properly backed up.

I offer my clients reduced rates on an image restore if the image (Macrium) is no more than 30 days old and with in the current feature update version.

I might have missed it, but did you try a bootable OS image (CD/DVD/USB)
Perhaps will point you towards hardware or software issues.

I doubt it. If you can not use a restore point, You are wasting valuable time not backing up and clean installing. It is not your fault the user does not keep proper up to date image backups. You can only work with you are given. You are not a magician. ;)

If the user does not like it and does not want to be caught in this position in the future then after this "crisis" needs to keep it properly backed up.

I offer my clients reduced rates on an image restore if the image (Macrium) is no more than 30 days old and with in the current feature update version.
Of course you are right about this. I had extra time for a valuable client. As for magic, I can whip up an awesome pot of clam chowder! :D

This month's updates are nasty, containing some fixes to a core windows function that's had a massive hole in it for 20 years. So honestly, I'm surprised we haven't seen more problems.

Thanks again for your reply. If I were to use any flavor of Linux, what application would you suggest I use to fix this issue?
A Linux disk is just going to test/rule out hardware issues. It will NOT fix your issue.
You are going to have to clean install Windows...

With no restore point or image backup you are out of options.

Thanks again for your reply. If I were to use any flavor of Linux, what application would you suggest I use to fix this issue?
It will not "fix" any issues, but will tell you if the problems are hardware or software related. Always good to know before you start "fixing" things. I would suggest a bootable USB with the latest version of Linux Mint. If all then works well, you more than likely have a "software" issue. If it doesn't work, it is hardware related and no amount of "fixing" your OS will solve the problem.
I also haven't seen where you have done a COMPLETE diagnostics.
https://www.linuxmint.com/

Back