Win11 De-Crapification trick on Completely Clean (Re)Install using Microsoft Install Media

britechguy

Reaction score
One of the tech geeks on the NVDA group offered the following (source: message #110627) which I had not previously encountered. Since it's so simple, it's worth trying:

I have heard about de-crappifying Win 11, is that if you set the language to "English (world)", instead of your native English variant (US/UK), it will avoid installing all of the game and 3rd party app stubs that it sticks on the start menu and such.

You can then change the language back later after install.

Got that from an article in Wired or one of the tech mags, that was complaining about the increasing amount of unremovable MS partner crap in Windows 11.

[I'd have to believe this would work for Windows 10, too.]

I wouldn't expect anything to be seen until you're looking at Windows after the install and checking for things such as the weird games and such that often show up. The setup process itself gives you very little direct indication about what apps and stubs it's installing.

I wouldn't expect anything to be seen until you're looking at Windows after the install and checking for things such as the weird games and such that often show up. The setup process itself gives you very little direct indication about what apps and stubs it's installing.
Worth seeing if it helps. I don't get the ancillary garbage that Windows 7 puts on the o/s. I get the Edge icon and that's it.

Back