Which PC manufacturer is best now a days?

And I'll say that I really like asus for laptops, motherboards, and pretty much everything they make. That said I have seen a ton of their monster gaming laptops with bad dc jacks, considering they make up probably 0.01% of laptops sold.. and these are not broken dc jacks, they are melted.

You see the most computers from the two biggest companies and the least from two of the smallest?

You don't say.

I see a lot of iphones for screen replacements and havent seen any blackberries, therefore blackberry has the strongest screens.

exactly my thoughts....someone forgot about market share?

Many laptops are made by the same small pool of ODMs.....just sayin...

Last edited:
We supply Dell when the client insists, dumped HP due to quality and channel partnering issues long ago, and generally stick to Lenovo currently for name brand solutions.

I would also put a plug in for Equus for whitebox solutions. Their quality of build and components are top notch. Their parts support and warranty support not so much, but on the plus side those are rarely needed.

I'm beginning to recommend the Dell business machines for residential customers. Just not worth the hassle going with a consumer machine. The partner setup is absolutely useless though in terms of markup.

I was an HP partner but never sold one of their machines. I dumped them when they wanted all of their partners to do an online thing (that I believe the partners had to pay for) because of the scandal with Mark Hurd. I told them to pound sand. To be honest HP has gotten much worse since firing Hurd and I think that firing was unjustified.

I think Lenovo might be one of the better manufacturers right now.

I like dealing with Equus, but they can't compete on price in many cases. Their current laptop build quality is not the greatest at the moment. I think that is because they get kits and assemble them then ship to resellers.

You see the most computers from the two biggest companies and the least from two of the smallest?

You don't say.

I see a lot of iphones for screen replacements and havent seen any blackberries, therefore blackberry has the strongest screens.

Toshiba which sells probably the third most laptops i don't see a whole lot considering the amount sold

You joke about blackberries but ive dropped a 9700 from 15 feet high with no case, picked it up and keptusing it with only a few scratches on it, workhorse thatthing was

That being said dell used to be quality i see one model constantly right now the n5010, i have also owned a vostro laptop that got replaced maybe about a year and a half later with a basic macbook. Yess dell and hp are bound to have more failures but you would think they would have more/better qc if they are selling that volume but HP as a company is run by morons its amazing they haven't gone bankrupt yet by the poor decisions and money wasting thta happens, dell i have hope for bygoing private will hopefully fix some things

Also forgot to mention sony, they just blow. Acer/gateway/emachines actually are improving and i would put them ahead of sony dell and hp but behind toshiba lenovo and asus. Yes the asus gaming laptops. Have bad dc jacks but the terms gaming and laptop are not really meant to go hand and hand imo

I have also had some good experience with HP. I'm using a few around the shop now that are 5+ years old and running well. I have done some upgrades to them so they are not stock per se, but they seem to hold up well.

Mostly recommend custom machines to my customers although it's getting harder to compete price wise with off the shelf systems.

FWIW I have had considerably more HP machines with bad motherboards (both desktop and laptop) than any other manufacturer. Their consumer line seems to have some pretty horrible engineering as well, such as having to completely disassemble a laptop to do an lcd swap, or their desktops using flathead/hex screws while virtually everyone else uses phillips.

I think I've had the fewest problems with Acer laptops. I've been recommending Dell to people lately, but some of their newer laptop models have some retarded engineering, such as having to remove the motherboard to replace a hard drive.

Toshiba's are decent though they could get by with about half as many screws as they have. They also seem to have a tendency to run warmer than other laptops. Asus laptops are a royal pain to work on and get parts for, especially the souped up gaming laptops. Gateway and eMachines are basically Acer now, though they seem to be lower quality than Acer brand laptops.

Compaq is basically HP now, but I've had fewer problems with Compaq branded machines than I have HP branded machines.

I track all computers by manufacturer, if I ever get around to it I'll write a script that reports how many computers we get from each to help compare numbers. The way things are going though, I probably won't get around to it.

Toshiba which sells probably the third most laptops i don't see a whole lot considering the amount sold

That being said dell used to be quality i see one model constantly right now the n5010, i have also owned a vostro laptop that got replaced maybe about a year and a half later with a basic macbook. Yess dell and hp are bound to have more failures but you would think they would have more/better qc if they are selling that volume but HP as a company is run by morons its amazing they haven't gone bankrupt yet by the poor decisions and money wasting thta happens, dell i have hope for bygoing private will hopefully fix some things

Toshiba is 4th or 5th for laptops, lower for PCs. There are 5 hps and 3-4 dells for every toshiba.

Don't get me wrong.. for business my choice is lenovo, hp, dell. Home is asus, lenovo, toshiba, dell.

I bought a 300 dollar toshiba and if anything breaks in that thing it would cost me under 50 bucks to fix unless its the mobo which wouldn't be too much more. Still running solid 1.5 years later

w/r/t repair frequencies, there are two factors in play here that haven't been mentioned:

1. Ignoring new computers we sell for a moment, Our samples are biased - we only see the broken ones! This is only part of the equation. Sure, we can say with absolute certainty that "I repaired 400 Dells last year and only 200 Lenovos" - or something like that. The real question here is "Out of the universe of all computers sold, now many needed repair?" Getting this information by brand is certainly tricky, if not impossible.

2. When we settle on our own "favorites" (Dell is one of mine), we tend to minimize the memory of problems and maximize the memory of successes. It's human nature to make brand favoritism a self-fulfilling prophecy. No different than automobiles.

It's hard not to agree with the poster who said computers were becoming all the same, just with different wrappers. I think quality in general has decreased (how could it not, with so much downward pressure on pricing).

Stonecat is also correct about business lines being better - the pricing is high enough to allow for better quality parts and assembly - which is why they are willing to give the longer warranty.

Seems to me, anyway!

Back