Weird shutown delay

mikeroq

Reaction score
This is on my home computer.

Has anyone seen Windows 10 having a long delay between clicking shutdown in the start menu, or via cmd, before it actually starts shutting down?

Recently when I click on shutdown it seems to take 30 seconds to a minute or maybe more before the shutdown screen will come up. If I do it via command line it sits there like the process is busy with the same delay then shuts down.

Obligatory haven't done much looking on this since it's not a big deal and works fine otherwise. It's an optiplex 7020 I got from a customer that I installed a new SSD into in October. Google wasn't much help since I guess I couldn't word it right.

Haven't done any scans or testing since it's my home computer and you know how it is when you come home from work.

How long has this been going on? Have you tried reseating RAM? Reset BIOS to defaults? Have you looked at task manager? Open task manager, Processes tab, then sort on the CPU column with highest activity at the top. Then select shutdown. Might get a hint there.

Time for my usual mantra. Event logs, event logs, event logs. If any programs are hanging they may write an event in the logs as they shut down.

Time for my usual mantra. Event logs, event logs, event logs. If any programs are hanging they may write an event in the logs as they shut down.

And if you have a suggestion of what to look for, and how to go about that, it would be appreciated also.

I haven't had to dig into Event Logs for years, and were I to need to do so for any given issue it's really helpful to have just that kind of guidance before digging in.

note the registry fix in the last item.

And if you have a suggestion of what to look for, and how to go about that, it would be appreciated also.

I haven't had to dig into Event Logs for years, and were I to need to do so for any given issue it's really helpful to have just that kind of guidance before digging in.
Mostly you are looking for yellow or red errors during the shutdown time and the boot up following it. The registry hack mentioned above will help as anything being forced closed by timeout will get logged.

Thank you.

One of the things that frustrates me (and this is not aimed at you, in particular, we all have a tendency to do it) is the presumption that, "What I know how to do everyone else does, too."

There are certain times when that presumption is far safer than others. But whenever it comes to digging into log files, any log files, those unfamiliar with what's contained in them and how to separate the wheat from the chaff really do need a little guidance. This is an area where there's just so much territory to be covered that giving someone the tools to focus is a blessing and a kindness.

To be clear this was a delay in clicking shutdown and it actually starting the shutdown. Same with doing shutdown.exe in command line it would stall at the prompt for a while.

I couldn't see anything causing a slow down or delay. I ran dism and sfc which actually repaired something and now there is no delay.

Those are time based events. So I just make sure they have accurate times on their notes then will use those to narrow down the log window to around the subject time.

To be clear this was a delay in clicking shutdown and it actually starting the shutdown. Same with doing shutdown.exe in command line it would stall at the prompt for a while.

I couldn't see anything causing a slow down or delay. I ran dism and sfc which actually repaired something and now there is no delay.
Wow that moment when DISM actually works. Go get your lotto tickets now.

Those are time based events. So I just make sure they have accurate times on their notes then will use those to narrow down the log window to around the subject time.

I remember once chasing my tail on a problem for a client with a web-based app, digging through logs futilely in search for clues about what was going wrong. It finally came to light that their logs used UTC time...

Back