Using NotePad++ for Editing PowerShell Scripts - Need 'PS1 Plugin'

allanc

Reaction score
I have never used NotePad++ before and I am trying to configure the same for editing PowerShell scripts.

This page mentions that "it's essential to install .... the PS1 plugin".
I have searched and I cannot locate the "PS1 plugin for NotePad++".
Perhaps, it is known by another name?

All assistance in downloading the "PS1 plugin for NotePad++" is appreciated.

Notepad++ highlighting is great but not really a requirement for editing anything and if you can't find the highlighter format for a type you can either go without, use a different app, or build your own/find one another has done.

Notepad++ highlighting is great but not really a requirement for editing anything and if you can't find the highlighter format for a type you can either go without, use a different app, or build your own/find one another has done.
What I would *really* find useful is auto-indenting that does nesting properly.
Maybe it is because of the way that my mind works, but I find levels of indentation very useful.

I would recommend using the "Windows Powershell ISE" It's included with Powershell 2.0+ and has all the commands ready for testing and insert/save.

1698696989837.png

"Windows Powershell ISE"

Thanks for pointing this out. I knew about it, once, but it had completely slipped my mind.

I absolutely hate Power Shell syntax, it's just amazingly verbose and unwieldy, and having an environment such as this that can do dedicated syntax checking and remind you about what that obscure command you use every few years, but only remember part of, actually is and how you write it out is most helpful.

Thanks for pointing this out. I knew about it, once, but it had completely slipped my mind.
Welcome. :)
Ya, it's a pretty useful tool to have.

Forgot to mention that Visual Studio Code is also an option - and a much more powerful one to use, albeit much more complex.. Powershell ISE is like a Notepad lovechild more fitting to the Notepad++'ish of the OP.

Welcome. :)
Ya, it's a pretty useful tool to have.

Forgot to mention that Visual Studio Code is also an option - and a much more powerful one to use, albeit much more complex.. Powershell ISE is like a Notepad lovechild more fitting to the Notepad++'ish of the OP.

Correct, the NP++ is more suited to my requirements.

PowerShell ISE is probably the best bet, but you can set the language in notepad++ to PowerShell and it'll do the syntax highlighting which may help you.

I have never used NotePad++ before and I am trying to configure the same for editing PowerShell scripts.

This page mentions that "it's essential to install .... the PS1 plugin".
I have searched and I cannot locate the "PS1 plugin for NotePad++".
Perhaps, it is known by another name?

All assistance in downloading the "PS1 plugin for NotePad++" is appreciated.
use this instead

use this instead
I must be really behind in the news.
Back in the day when one of my gigs was programming in Visual Foxpro, wasn't Visual Studio a paid product and now it appears to be free?

BTW - Thank you for the link.

I must be really behind in the news.
Back in the day when one of my gigs was programming in Visual Foxpro, wasn't Visual Studio a paid product and now it appears to be free?

BTW - Thank you for the link.
yeah Visual Studio was a whole object-oriented application development thing. VSCode is just for writing code. Its like the included ISE but on steroids.

I love PowerShell ISE but keep in mind it's effectively discontinued. No longer in active development and will not support beyond PowerShell 5.1 which goes EoL in just over 3 years.

VSCode is the officially supported editor for PowerShell 7 onwards. It's also good editor for C++, C#, Python, PHP and many more.

Back