User settings locations

JanineMarchese

Reaction score
Was asked on a meeting today where (the h...) stuff like Outlook reply auto fill is stored, to move over to O365 when upgrading.
As I recall it used to be in a file in the Outlook home folders autocomplete.dat but apparently not anymore?

Also, if you know how Windows stores Explorer quick links:
As in: When you right-click on a program, you get a list of pinned folders and recently visited folders (resp. files that can be opened with that program). They are still there, even if you have deleted the shortcuts from the recent-folder. Where are these lists of files stored?

Also the Recent files lists must be stored somehow?

With 365..the auto complete (nickname cache) is now stored up in the users mailbox on the mail server. So there is nothing you have to worry about on the local computer. I think that started around Office 2016 time period.

365 apps (Word, Excel, etc)...stores all of that up in your 365 account now.

As far as quick links etc, some of it is stored in the registry. I recall during my creation of an automation script to standardize the desktop links I had to create an install with the links I wanted not only physically present in App Data, but also the correct registry data, otherwise Explorer would refuse to show the extra items.

I don't have that handy, but if Microsoft hasn't changed it much, you will be looking for both a registry hive and a physical file depending on the part of explorer the link is present.

If you want to migrate those links, you will need both the registry tree and physical files, which should be part of the user registry hive.

Please keep in mind this information is based on the last time I worked on that script, which was quite a while ago, Windows 10 Build 10240 I believe, so allot has changed since then.

Hi Janine
Outlook is, as said here, handled already if the user is using O365, as it is stored in a hidden database in the mailbox since O2016

But if you're going from O2016 to O365, You can (sigh) use a third party program, MFCMAPI, to manually export and import autocomplete links..

MS has a guide here, where they them selves recommend MFCMAPI

QUICK links and recent files links, are as of (all Windows version AFTER) Win10 1607 stored in small "database" files.
- With recent files links, there's one "database" file for each executable file on the system!!! - yup, bad design.
%CSIDL_APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\*

But as you're using USMTGUI anyway (still do right?), you will get both Quick links and Recent files links automatically.
- In the event you don't, make sure the user hasn't logged in prior to the restore. Let USMT create the profile!

Back