iCloud Drive is off but files still not in standard locations

timeshifter

Reaction score
Found something odd on a customer's system today. According to his settings in System Preferences - Apple ID - iCloud Drive - Desktop & Documents Folders was unchecked. However all of his "documents" and most of his "desktop" where in the local locations you'd find them if that preference was on. i.e. they were stored in ~/Library/Mobile Documents/Documents and ~/Library/Mobile Documents/Desktop

This caused Carbonite to skip these files, because they weren't in ~/Documents and ~/Desktop as usual. Also, I learned that Carbonite doesn't really play well with iCloud Drive anyway.

He didn't care about using iCloud Drive. I moved all the files to their normal location and all is well.

However, I'd really like to know how it got like that? I've noticed before that if you turn iCloud Drive on or off you'll end up with new folders and other signs that it had been used. Forget the exact name of the new folders, usually something with "(Archive)" in the name. But in this case none of that existed.

He was a little frustrated that Carbonite hadn't been working. I explained it wasn't really Carbonite's fault.

In my mind if you're not using iCloud Drive then your files should be in the normal location.

Thoughts?

I've seen that before. From what I remember that happens when iCloud files are turned on, the files get moved to the new location. When it's turned off it doesn't move them back to the original folder. Just maintains the same redirect. Another reason why I don't use iCloud and don't recommend it. Well, maybe for iOS device backups, but nothing else.

I've had the same problem with OneDrive at times... never fun.

Redirection usually goes well, but the inverse isn't always true.

I was going to make the same observation about OneDrive but wasn't as sure. Good to know I'm not the only one that's seen that in OD.

Back