Unifi solution for very small office

Velvis

Reaction score
Small client (3 Wi-Fi users, 1 Wi-Fi printer) is looking to install business class equipment for security insurance purposes. In the past I have always used Unifi with a USG, Cloud Key, a Unifi switch, and Unifi access points.

However, it doesn't seem much of this stuff is available at this time.

Is there a newer Unifi solution to a small setup like this that is recommended and available?

For small offices, the UDM. "Unifi Dream Router" (UDR). Built in controller, cloud keys really aren't needed anymore. Of the 4 built in switch ports, 2 of them are POE.
The "Unifi Dream Machine" (UDM) is similar, (just no POE ports). Yet more expensive...more CPU/RAM or something since its controller can also run some other Ubiquiti apps.

How many APs you need...dunno without seeing the office.
Sounds like you might not even need a switch.

For small offices, the UDM. "Unifi Dream Router" (UDR). Built in controller, cloud keys really aren't needed anymore. Of the 4 built in switch ports, 2 of them are POE.
The "Unifi Dream Machine" (UDM) is similar, (just no POE ports). Yet more expensive...more CPU/RAM or something since its controller can also run some other Ubiquiti apps.

How many APs you need...dunno without seeing the office.
Sounds like you might not even need a switch.
I think just one AP they have no issues with the default Verizon router. I am assuming the AP can be connected directly to the UDR?
Also can they be accessed using the Unifi android app along with my other installs?

Last edited:
The UDR and UDM have a built in AP...they're a white round topped cylinder device.

UDR_03_ea67e348-925e-47ff-bf59-410406e06cbe_grande.png

The UDR and UDM have a built in AP...they're a white round topped cylinder device.

UDR_03_ea67e348-925e-47ff-bf59-410406e06cbe_grande.png
Are they accessible remotely through the unifi android app?

They both run the controller software, so yes.

Though if you want it everywhere you'll have to add them to a unifi cloud account.

So the Dream Machine series essentially have a built in Cloud Key?

And I can access it through my https://network.unifi.ui.com/#/controllers/1/50 if I'm not on site?

But I can't control it with a hosted controller or Hostifi?

Correct....it has a built in controller...so you could say it has a built in cloud key..just the modern version of it, more horsepower. And the DM also has a built in controller for Access Control (UID).

"network.unifi.com" is the legacy controller page...for old style cloud keys.
New versions, like UDMs, UDM Pros, Ck2.....you get to those at unifi.ui.com

Built in controller you already paid for with the hardware, and since unifi.ui.com is FREE....although I like what Hostifi does and use them for a lot of our devices, why would you want to try to manage it at Hostifi and add to recurring costs?

I can confirm that the Dream Machine line of all-in-one router/firewall/switch/AP devices is much better than the old way with a separate controller. I never understood why the USG firewall device didn't have a built-in controller. I have a client on the old system and they have problems every so often when the controller doesn't come up in time with the firewall.

However, you may still have problems getting those devices. Ubiquiti seems to have been especially hard by supply chain issues. If you're looking for something else that can do essentially the same things but with more security options, try a Sophos XG firewall. Sophos makes excellent firewalls and can have built-in wifi for their desktop models. Ease of setup is only a bit more difficult in some areas (and easier in others -- I never liked how Ubiquiti did their basic networking) and the pricing for desktop models is similar. Only downside is the need for a subscription to license the more complex security features. Upside is the protection is much better.

Back