UK Cookie Law

Tony,
I'm trying to get my head around the new cookie law.
As far as I'm aware I don't use cookies.
I have a link to Facebook, and free index link but not sure if that makes any difference?
Any advice would be appreciated.
My current privacy policy is www.ifixpc.co.uk/privacy_policy.htm
Cheers
Andy

Looks like you use just a single session cookie. It isn't a tracking cookie so I don't think you would need to change anything.

You can use the google plugin called Attacat to see what cookies a site uses.

No as far as I read it you don't need to do sites you link to. But I doubt anyone will get fined. The ICO has said its going to check 50 of the top sites, I'm guessing BBC and BT will be two of them. So I'm following their lead.

Hi again,
Im struggling with the cookie law and have spent two days trying to suss it out...

Questions:-

1. can any one tell me if my website www.ifixpc.co.uk is using cookies on any of the pages?
When I use www.attacat.co.uk it says i'm using 1 session cookie, but it looks quite generic and looks like one of theirs?!

2. If im not using cookies do I need to change my privacy policy at all?
www.ifixpc.co.uk/privacy_policy.htm

3. Do my facebook link to my facebook page or my freeindex link constitute that im using cookies or not?

This is a nightmare! cookiecert.com says I am not using any cookies(first page only though) -HELP!:(

Ta
Andy

1. can any one tell me if my website www.ifixpc.co.uk is using cookies on any of the pages?

As far as i can see their are no cookies genrated. (which I can see)

When I use www.attacat.co.uk it says i'm using 1 session cookie, but it looks quite generic and looks like one of theirs?!

2. If im not using cookies do I need to change my privacy policy at all?
www.ifixpc.co.uk/privacy_policy.htm

Just had a quick read and it seems ok

3. Do my facebook link to my facebook page or my freeindex link constitute that im using cookies or not?

No you don't need to do site's you link to as this would be impossible for large sites.

This is just a quick look while on a break from a job.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your help, just a couple of things though:-

when you say googles, what do you mean?

Can you tell if my site is using any cookies at all?

The session cookie which attacat says is on my website appears on every report it generates even when I test other websites with it, and for that matter if i just press record and then stop immediately without visiting any websites it still says there is a session cookie recorded! I'm presuming this is a glitch and my site is not producing any session cookies or any cookies whatsoever??

Thanks in advance

Andy

Just got this email:-

"Andy

I tried to post a reply to you on the technibble forum

I am afraid you are victim of a bug we are trying to iron out at the moment with the cookie tool – sorry to have caused you bother but you can safely ignore that session cookie if it doesn’t show up in the detailed log

I hope you’ve found the tool useful otherwise

Many Thanks
Tim
Tim Barlow"

Hope it helps others who have got this error.

Cheers

Andy

it looks like johnlewis.com have just changed "Privacy Policy" to "Privacy & Cookies" and added a bit of cookie info.
If it's good enough for them........

As the ICO have already said they will be working of complaints only and not have a team looking for non compliance, can you imagine the number of twisted idiots out there that will spend all day looking for non compliant sites just so they can complain about them!

very true, when I look I've had a lot of visitor to my compliance page. I have seen a firms in my area, who have have not complied but I'm not going to start to report them. simply because I've got better things to do

Back