Trying to recover data

johnrobert

Reaction score
Trying to recover data from terabytes laptop HD windows 8 GPT
I am doing this more of an experience thing the owner is only 16 and no budget
She has about 400 gigs of data.

Windows does not recognize it just wants to format, R-Studio will not recognize it.
I tried dd rescue but Linux computer will not boot when it’s attached to Sata
I tried USB adapter it mounts after about 20 mins but dd rescue will not see it
I am having some success connecting to my Mac book pro it mounts
And I have copied all the pictures but it is very slow.

I guess it’s one of those cases that needs an expert and specialized equipment

Do you know for a fact the pictures are good? Meaning are you able to actually pull some up in Preview that you saved to your MBP?

Also, are you aware you can hot swap SATA in *nix? Of course it's preferred to unmount it first before removing it.

R Studio did not see it, interesting. Meaning when you launched R-Studio it did not even show up as a attached device?

Beyond that it does sound like a bad drive. Did you look at it in Drive Utilities to see if it reports a SMART error?

Thanks some good points

I didn't know about hot swapping in Linux to desktop Sata
its a live disk but should not make any difference.

It did show up in R_studio but there was nothing I could do with it.

I am glad I posted this as I have learned something new.

If it doesn't appear as a device in RS I don't think anything will "see" it. But, since the data can be read on Mac, it would make sense that RS can see it and maybe you missed it (it may not have a letter, but check for the "size" of devices to see if it's there). If it can see it, you can create an image in RS (though not as good as DDrescue with it's more advanced features). *RS has a Mac version. It sounds like it either has a firmware problem or lots of bad sectors. If the former, it's possible you could recover data extremely slowly, but if the latter, things may get worse so it's a little dangerous (but not really if they have no other options with $0 budget).

Also, are you aware you can hot swap SATA in *nix? Of course it's preferred to unmount it first before removing it.

I think hot swapping is less to do with the os and more to do with the motherboard.

I tried HD regenerator I know it’s not advised for recovery but I wanted to see what was happening For a short test

It ran without errors and only scanned about 50 Megs in 45 mins I stopped it after that, it should take less than a minute to do that amount.
It looks like a board problem.

Thanks for all the advice

Back