[REQUEST] troubleshooting surface laptop 3 charging issue following water damage

smurphy

Reaction score
a few months ago i knocked a drink into my laptop. i powered it off as soon as possible following the accident, but there was some lasting damage, in that it doesn't charge anymore or operate without being plugged in. the battery is still detected, and is slowly discharging over time- it's currently reporting 54% available (plugged in)- but as long as it's undisturbed it works just fine. the weird thing is that if it's unplugged for any length of time it won't power on again, at least until i plug a fast charger into the usb c port. i only need to do this for a second or two, which makes me think there's a bad capacitor somewhere? i've been hunting online for schematics for the surface laptop 3 with no luck, any suggestions of where to start would be greatly appreciated.

a few months ago i knocked a drink into my laptop. i powered it off as soon as possible following the accident, but there was some lasting damage, in that it doesn't charge anymore or operate without being plugged in. the battery is still detected, and is slowly discharging over time- it's currently reporting 54% available (plugged in)- but as long as it's undisturbed it works just fine. the weird thing is that if it's unplugged for any length of time it won't power on again, at least until i plug a fast charger into the usb c port. i only need to do this for a second or two, which makes me think there's a bad capacitor somewhere? i've been hunting online for schematics for the surface laptop 3 with no luck, any suggestions of where to start would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe you didn't see my reply to your introduction? Repeated here:

Thank you for your interest in the Technibble forums but, sorry, they are for professional computer maintenance technicians only and we do not provide education to end users here. There are many other websites which you will find more suitable.
@Kitten Kong

to be fair, i didn't ask you to help me fix my computer. i outlined a problem, hypothesised on the root cause, and asked for your help tracking down schematics.

EDIT: as it goes, i'm in northern ireland. a recommendation would be welcome.

to be fair, i didn't ask you to help me fix my computer. i outlined a problem, hypothesised on the root cause, and asked for your help tracking down schematics.

EDIT: as it goes, i'm in northern ireland. a recommendation would be welcome.
To be fair, you continued to ask questions after you'd been reminded that you weren't eligible for membership here.

Anyway, I'm afraid I can't think of anyone in Norn Iron who I'd send my mother's computer to (my rule of thumb when recommending technicians). There's a guy in Carlow I'd trust, but that's probably not much help. Perhaps someone else knows someone, or would be willing to volunteer?

Oh, and the answer to your question about tracking down schematics? It's Google.

the reason i am here is because google wasn't any help in finding the schematic for my machine. have a look for yourself if you like.

a few months ago i knocked a drink into my laptop.
I think you'll be hard pressed to find a reputable tech who'll even look at your laptop, especially after 'a few months'. Even if you do, there will likely be no warranty on the repair. I'm afraid you'll probably have to write it off, but check your home insurance for accidental damage cover.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find a reputable tech who'll even look at your laptop
+1. I just tell my prospective custopmer to contact Microsoft. They may help, or more likely, not.

Edit to add: I'm surprised to see that iFixIt has give the Surface Pro X has a repairability score of 6. Earlier models had a score of 0 or 1.

Last edited:
Back