Tricky Computer Problem with no video

bagellad

Reaction score
Hi there I have a Hp Envy Phoenix H3Y51AA#ABL that has no video.

When the video card is in, it runs but has no video i am not sure if its booting or not I would say not. When the video card is out and its on the on board video the computer turns on and then turns off after 5 seconds or so.

I took the motherboard battery out and it makes no difference. When you take out all the ram the computer beeps as expected. When you move the ram sticks around there is no difference. (4 slots).

When I take the questionable bad video card and put it in a working computer it doesn't have video. When I take a working video card and put it in the bad computer it doesn't work. I also tested the power supply of the bad computer and it tests fine voltage wise (with a power supply tester)..

So It looks like a bad video card... and a bad motherboard but the power supply is still ok?

is the video options in BIOS set correct. ie...onboard disabled when using card?

Is the power supply able to handle video card?

Even though power supply checks ok, have you tried it with a known good working one of ample power for the card?

Lots more things to check.

Harold

Last edited:
Hi there thank you for your help.

The power supply has been supporting the card for the last year or so without problems so I think it has a enough power. Its some HP Made "gamer" machine so id expect the specs to work together. My power supply is more powerful and the card didnt work with my gaming pc either.

Also my video card is a bit weaker requirement wise and it didn't work with their pc.

I wish I could get into bios, unfortunately I don't get any video what so ever i can't get in and just see if it turned off. The customer did mention something about getting a driver update around the problem happened but... i doubt that would cause the issue before windows..

I will give the pci video card a try although the one i have would be pretty ancient.

Any other ideas? the customer is ok with replacing the parts but id rather confirm the issue first...

...So It looks like a bad video card... and a bad motherboard...

From your diagnostics thus far, it sure points in that direction. I might be tempted to pull the motherboard out just to be certain that nothing is shorting behind the board...doubtful, but you never know.

I have a tv repairman friend and he runs into similar situations that are caused by a shorted object behind a factory mounted board, such as improperly mounted standoffs, etc.

Are you able to run a boot disk?

I would also try a known good power supply, as power supply testers generally don't load test at a high enough draw to properly stress a PS.

You have also mentioned it starts for 5 seconds then shuts down.

Have you check for overheating issues?

Long shot here, but just for sh*ts and g*ggles, did you try another monitor?

Harold

Last edited:
Back