Transferring a domain from O365 to O365

thecomputerguy

Reaction score
Client A bought Client B

New tenant setup for Client A and client B is currently forwarding to client A for email retention.

Can I do a normal domain add for Client B into Client A using a TXT MS=???????? record to add client B's emails as aliases to Client A's new emails.

EX.

john@microsoft.com now forwards to john@apple.com

apple.com wants to absorb microsoft.com

apple.com adds microsoft.com using a MS=?????? TXT record and MX is changed

Aliases for microsoft.com are added to the new apple.com email addresses to recieve from the old microsoft.com email addresses.

Yup
Remove the DNS settings of microsoft.com for client B...so the default for all users is back to the john@microsoft.onmicrosoft.com (guess using microsoft for an example of company A)
Not too long later...should be able to add microsoft.com to company B's DNS. And.....ensure it's an alias for all users. May be as soon as 15 minutes, 30 minutes, might take an hour. It varies....just keep trying. You'll need to adjust the DKIM records for Company A...but all the rest should be the same.

Need to move existing email for company A to B for any purpose? Or move over as shared mailboxes...for archives?

Yup
Remove the DNS settings of microsoft.com for client B...so the default for all users is back to the john@microsoft.onmicrosoft.com (guess using microsoft for an example of company A)
Not too long later...should be able to add microsoft.com to company B's DNS. And.....ensure it's an alias for all users. May be as soon as 15 minutes, 30 minutes, might take an hour. It varies....just keep trying. You'll need to adjust the DKIM records for Company A...but all the rest should be the same.

Need to move existing email for company A to B for any purpose? Or move over as shared mailboxes...for archives?

I know my OP was a little confusing ... the migration has already happened from Company B to Company A using MigWiz (in a previous post of mine).

My question was basically how it looks after all email has already been migrated to the new tenant, and the old tenant is now just forwarding outside of it's domain to the new tenant (that I also manage).

The old boxes are still licensed so I was just trying to get a feel for absorbing the old domain into the new tenant so we can dump the licensing and just use aliases for forwarding instead of forwarding outside of the domain.

You do as was suggested, you remove the domain from the old tenant, apply it to the new tenant, and configure all the aliases on the appropriate mailboxes.

Then you cancel renewal on all the licenses.

I know my OP was a little confusing ... the migration has already happened from Company B to Company A using MigWiz (in a previous post of mine).
Wasn't confusing...just didn't mention that point (but it was only the last sentence I typed that mentioned that).

So..in summary, you'll be going to the OLD tenant...
admin.microsoft.com
settings
domains
drill into the domain you want to get rid of..and select the "Remove Domain" button.
Now that domain has been ripped out of that tenant.

Wait about 15 minutes...may take more....may take less. I've seen it vary widely. It's a "cloud system" with lots of nooks and crannies...so things can sometimes...move slow. But you're waiting for Microsofts servers to realize the domain was removed..and they need to process that. You pushed buttons in the GUI..but CPUs have to crunch on the back end.

So in the NEW tenant....same location as above....Add domain...run through the wizard.
If you are trying it "too soon after removing the domain from the old tenant" you'll get some notification that it already exists in another tenant. Else...it will fly through like doing it for the first time. Only thing is...your DNS entries are all mostly done (assuming they were done complete the first time). You'll have that initial "TXT record" to create....so it knows you manage the DNS. And then...the only difference you'll have is the DKIM record will need to be edited (assuming that was done before)

Now...the domain has been added to all users..as an alias. Review user profiles ...adjust as necessary...may be a different name convention like firstname@ or firstinitlastname@ or firstname.lastname@...whatever. And check additional aliases they may have had in the first tenant. As well as shared mailboxes, etc.

Back