The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running

ClickRight

Reaction score
Hi All,

I setup a new Lenovo e530 laptop running Windows 7 Pro x64 for a client about two weeks ago. He had some issues installing an HP printer and I'm logged in remotely and working on the issue. He wanted me to add a user account too, so I went to the control panel to open User management, but nothing happened.

So, I ran "control userpasswords2" from the the Run box, only to be met with an error

[Window Title]
C:\Windows\system32\control.exe

[Content]
The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

[OK]

Well what the!? I'm using a Windows application within Windows, there should be no 32-bit or 64-bit issue. Has anybody encountered this error before? I've only ever seen this with non-MS applications -- iTunes, etc.

Last edited:
Well I ran sfc /scannow and it found a ton of errors it could not repair, including explorer.exe.

This is really baffling to me, I have never seen a new machine behave like this. Looks like a repair install is already in order :(

Last edited:
Well I ran sfc /scannow and it found a ton of errors it could not repair, including explorer.exe.

This is really baffling to me, I have never seen a new machine behave like this. Looks like a repair install is already in order :(

If it has one, I'd consider a "restore to Factory Condition" first. I'm dubious that a "repair" would resolve the issue. Considering it's new, there shouldn't be much to be backed up first.

Sounds like a machine that has been rooted if you ask me.

Time to do the full drill. Virus malware check and full hardware diagnostics.

Looked further into the issue. The machine installed 2823324 and rebooted and ran chkdsk. What happened during/after that was missing from the event log (1.5 hours!)

So if you run into the issue, here's your cause! Repair install resolved it :)

Last edited:
Back