The most odd problem I have encountered...

xxsilk109xx

Reaction score
I have a customer with a dell desktop..an XPS400..

He brings it to me last week, it would not fire up, come to find out it had a bad ram stick. I replace the ram, get it into windows, do some updates, tune up, etc. He had just restored to OS before he brought it to me.. It works fine, I send him on his way..

The next day, he calls me and tells me that it is not working, says he sees the windows scrolling bar and then nothing the screen goes black..I get it in front of me in my shop and it didnt seem to do it but the first time, after i rebooted it it booted normally...so I told him it might have been a fluke and to come and pick it up, before I did that, i restarted the computer at least 20 times. I also unplugged the power and let it sit before I did this..

I get the computer back today..this time he brings me the disk it came with, XP MCE 2K5 and I install it from scratch, complete Nuke and Pave..its working great here in my shop, ps2 mouse and keyboard, monitor and power cable is all I have plugged into it. I did not have ONE problem with it, it seems faster and more stable than before, I showed him with it booted normally, rebooted it in front of him, he saw that, was happy, sent him home..

Well that was an hour ago and I just got another call from him, saying he hooked it up, can get it into safe mode, but when he tries to boot to normal mode, the screen goes black and his monitor light turns amber (power off)...

Im stumped, could it possibly be the power cable running to the back of the computer? Or possibly a bad mouse or keyboard?

Im going over there tomorrow and taking my key/mouse/monitor to see whats going on..

do you have any suggestions for me while I am there on site?

While reading this my first thought was Mouse, keyboard or monitor. I wonder if one of them has a pin missing, or is damaged in some way. Might also be worth trying it in a different power socket to elimate that as a problem as well. I would also unplug any other hardware which he may have connected.

Last edited:
Does your client use a usb keyboard and mouse?, Only with reading you have used a ps2.
Take either your kb and mouse, or a couple of spares with you just in case. Then you could eliminate those right from the start.

I had this exact same issue more or less about 6 years ago. It was the PS/2 keyboard.

I bet we hear back that solved it...

To be safe it us a good idea to take anything unique that you had in the shop that he doesn't have connected at home. Also, make sure no peripherals are connected either.

Tom

I had one that the usb port on the printer was bad and cause the same problem when hooked up to pc.

If there are no problems at your store, then it's most likely not a problem with the computer, but with the accessories (i.e. monitor, power cord, mouse, keyboard, etc.)

Let us know how it goes!

I had one that the usb port on the printer was bad and cause the same problem when hooked up to pc.

I had one with the printer USB as well. He had pushed the printer hard against the wall and damaged the port. Only found out when I visited his house.

Going in to check it out this morning... Will report once I'm done. Thanks for the tips... I have a feeling it's one of his USB items he has hooked up... Also after reading again I need to make a correction... I wasnt using ps2 I was using USB which is the only option on that computer... But I still think it's the same problem..

Something similar happened with a USB connector for a player. And that was every time i plugged the darn device in the PC

SOLVED:
The problem was that he has an aftermarket video card, he had both the VGA and the DVI hooked up to the card, however the only thing plugged into the monitor was the DVI..He didnt tell me that he was trying to do a dual monitor setup, but didnt have the other TV for the VGA output plugged into the TV, so what I think was happening was that the video was loading into windows and then it was switching to default to the VGA port...

Once we unplugged that VGA cable, everything worked fine..

thanks for the tips!

Back