The first 12 months - where I got it wrong

Don't get too discouraged because your frustrations are shared by many of us. If you're a relatively new company, are you in the black and profitable? If so you've already surmounted your biggest hurdle. Everything else is academic. It will all come in time.

You're asking the right questions. You seem very savvy and alert. Just don't expect too many results too soon. No one here is special.

I dont know that its so much about budget as about returns.

Any advertising will cost, and often more expensive forms will yield better traffic to your business. Its an equation of whether the dollar investment will return commensurate profits, and also about whether the flow of work from the advertising will do your business good or cause it problems.

I think the trick is to pick advertising that you can control the workflow from. The thing I like about adwords, is that if I get really busy, I can switch it off for a couple of days while I catch up. I have been offered advertising by a couple of companies recently on 'shop-a-dockets'. My concern was that it was a 12 month contract and they were citing something like 10,000 exposures per week. While the returns may have been good, the service issues that may have arisen from not yet having an infrastructure to take on that amount of traffic would have been problematic for me. I use adwords and do mailbox drops with postcards from vistaprint. When things are quiet, I do mailbox drops to supplement google traffic.

Re Adwords: AFAIK how much you will need to bid will depend on what area you are in and how many other companies are bidding (and how much) for the keywords you plan to use.

I probably spend $200 pm with a budget of $15 per day @ $2.09 per click, but its not a good example as prices will vary depending on other factors.

The thing thats critical as I understand it is conversion rate - that is, whether you get phone calls/emails (and therefore paid work) from the ad. You can spend bazillions of dollars on getting clicks but if your website isnt converting those to customers its all a total waste of money, as is page rank, if you can achieve it.

Ive just redone my site so dont have conversion data accrued yet. But say one in three customers (clicks) is a job, and you're bidding $2 per click, its cost you $6 to get that customer. If your website is not so good and it takes 15 clicks, you just spent $30 to get a customer.

Conversion rate is also a function of the geography you set your ads to display at (mine is about 16km radius from home). If its a broader radius and your customers dont want commute, (or its further than you want to go), its wasted clicks.

Its also a function of the networks you display in. I was displaying in the broader network outside of search results (computer forums, other websites), so the clicks you get from those ads is from casual shoppers - people who have clicked out of curiosity. This is probably not going to be as high in conversions as displaying in search results only, where people have searched intentionally for your specific keywords (definitely wasnt for me - kind of like throwing money into a fire).

When I asked for advice Here on this subject someone said 'adwords is a science'. Even Google recommend you continually revise your settings with them to best optimise cost/performance. I think this science analogy is valuable as Adwords is a complex system with lots of potential for success but also equivalent potential to be a money-pit of not set up correctly.

My suggestion would be to think of the financial outlay as a ratio between investment and return, rather than an outright expense. The 'loss' aspect will depend on how well you implement it.

Im sure there are plenty of people here who can advise you more about the more complex aspects. I really only understand the basics.

Sorry but 1-3, or 1-4 is off by about a factor of 5-10 of clicks to actual job. Have you forgotten those customers that book, then cancel, the customers that call but have jobs you don't want to/can't do/too cheap to pay your rates, etc...have you figured out your calls/jobs conversion. What about your jobs/payments? What percentage of your jobs end up not paying you, or paying very late? what's your yearly profit from each customer? When you figure all that out you'll have your TRUE cost to buy a customer using ad-words. Saying 1-3 clicks turns into a customer is just very very naive.....where did you dig up this data?

Sorry but 1-3, or 1-4 is off by about a factor of 5-10 of clicks to actual job. Have you forgotten those customers that book, then cancel, the customers that call but have jobs you don't want to/can't do/too cheap to pay your rates, etc...have you figured out your calls/jobs conversion. What about your jobs/payments? What percentage of your jobs end up not paying you, or paying very late? what's your yearly profit from each customer? When you figure all that out you'll have your TRUE cost to buy a customer using ad-words. Saying 1-3 clicks turns into a customer is just very very naive.....where did you dig up this data?

Well I didnt see that coming.

If anyone else read that post as being written by a business and marketing guru - I will add the disclaimer here that it was just me, talking about my first 12 months in business.

In reply to your post, I clearly stated:

1. I dont and have conversion data as I just re-did my website

2. Naive? You apparently missed the bit about it being a new business, along with the bit where I clearly disclaimed that Im no financial genius.

Hopefully that answers your question.

Last edited:
Thanks 16k_zx81! I will keep these things in mind as I start my business. I am in the planning phase for a little bit now and I will continue to be until I feel I am ready to take clients. Right now I am just getting my name out using some business cards. :)

Thanks for sharing that. I am just starting out, so it is good to hear about others experiences.

Great post with a lot of useful info. Could you please expand on your use of Paragon and how you prepare a stock image for install to various makes and models of machines? Maybe this needs to be in a new thread??

TIA

Great post with a lot of useful info. Could you please expand on your use of Paragon and how you prepare a stock image for install to various makes and models of machines? Maybe this needs to be in a new thread??

TIA

There are people on here a lot better equipped than me to write about how to do universal disk imaging. I sort of fell on this method as a matter of luck. Basically, I contacted Paragon after reading something on here (it was in the first run of the Wiki if I recall correctly). They got back to me with some demo software, including an ISO for their backup product.

So the process I used was to take a copy of each version of Windows, and install it on a test machine, run ALL the service packs and updates, then install software and codecs etc, brand it, put some custom wallpapers in with my contact details on them, etc etc.

Then add driverpacks.

Then make an image of that using paragon. This image is to keep and update with software / updates as necessary - not for universal restore.

Next step is to run Sysprep to prepare the backed up image for deployment

Boot disk and use the tool in the menu (cant remember what its called to prep) then image it.

But I stress I have very limited experience doing this kind of deployment - only what I have figured out (thanks to tech support at Paragon) I can do to make the repairs I do easier. There are a lot of methods available and I dont fully understand the pros and cons of the options.

There are people on here with a lot more experience doing this kind of thing who would be a lot better equipped to write a 'how to' on the subject. It would be a great topic for the Wiki in this respect. (may already be there, I havent checked) :)

Last edited:
After you explanation I see you are doing what I thought. I was just curious if Paragon had some type of automated image creation. This is the first time I have heard of Paragon.

Thank you for this information. As a start-up it is great to learn from the steps of others.

Thank you for the information. I am soaking up as much as possible and appreciate your posts. They are full of useful information and if not useful definitely enlightening!

Soaking up informations as much as can. All these will help me greatly improve my business.

Great post. I actually LOVE the fact that you have the contrast between your first 12 months and then current. It sounds like you're learning from your mistakes, which is the only way to go. As plenty of others have already said, I'm looking to get started myself. I'm hoping to learn as much as I can before stepping out on my own. Thank you for your post and information. :)

Back