Sudden disappearance of browser sound from Chromium-based browsers (all of 'em)

britechguy

Reaction score
I'm now throwing in the towel and asking for help.

A few days ago I suddenly stopped being able to place Google Voice Calls because while the call would go through, I got no sound from my speakers. I also don't know when calls are coming in because the computer does not produce a ringtone. This has definitely not always been the case.

On further investigation over several days, I have found the following. First, this is what the sound mixer (sndvol) shows:

sndvol.jpg

and, immediately after making a test Google Voice Call using Firefox, this is what the Windows 10 equivalent looks like:

Win10_Post_Ffx.jpg

Now, note carefully that the line in the Win10 control for Voice is stippled out. Before I made the test call, that line showed Vivaldi (which is one of my Chromium-based browsers) similarly stippled out and at 88%, but with no ability to touch it, much like the line now showing for Voice under Firefox here.

Now, if I try to manually open that same Win10 dialog, it's showing this:

Win10_from_Scratch.jpg

I have done nothing in Settings to block Chrome, Edge, Vivaldi, or Brave from using the speakers or microphone. And I cannot for the life of me even seem to locate precisely where in the settings hierarchy I'd go to intentionally add them back (that would allow me to, anyway).

I thought I'd ask here before starting to do things like SFC/DISM, etc., in case this is some sort of well-worn issue that I just happen to never have encountered before. I use Google Voice all the time in Chromium-based browsers, so I'd really like to resolve this as promptly as I can. Any and all assistance is much appreciated!

YouTube videos definitely have sound. Google Voice still does not.

I did an SFC, which discovered corruption and repaired it, followed by DISM and a Restart. The problem persists after the Restart.

What's even more interesting is that the microphone remains unaffected. I can leave a message and have the recording work, I just can't hear the number I dial ring, nor the person (or voicemail) answer.

ADDENDUM: Issue is now persisting only in Vivaldi. Chrome & Brave browsers have sound. Also, note the difference in what both SndVol and the Win10 Settings Equivalent are now showing, and that Vivaldi is absent for some reason:

Win10_After_SFC-DISM.jpg

Attachments

• SndVol_After_SFC-DISM.jpg
    SndVol_After_SFC-DISM.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Uninstall/re Install your sound drivers?
I've had similar things happen (not with Google Voice though) and doing the uninstall/reinstall dance has it working again.

I've also done an inplace upgrade thats cured sound issues when all else has failed.

Well, I've done an uninstall of Vivaldi, and will be reinstalling.

I don't believe it's drivers or the symptoms would be far more consistent and widespread.

Possibly. I have seen sound drivers act strangely per application.
Maybe a lack of communication between what the browser asks for and what the sound drivers provide.

I guess we all have different experiences and I'm just giving mine. :)

@Barcelona,

First, I want to apologize if what I wrote gave the impression that I did not value what you offered. You're definitely right that we all have differing experiences and even how we choose to proceed is definitely colored by those. I value perspectives and advice even when I do not choose to pursue a suggested direction.

As Paul Harvey used to say, ". . . and now, the rest of the story."

After the Vivaldi uninstall and reinstall Google Voice does again have "through the speakers" sound in Vivaldi along with the other Chromium-based browsers.

What's interesting is that there is no consistency, in my opinion, in what Windows is reporting with regard to browsers and sound. Edge isn't shown anywhere. Here is the screenshot for SndVol after the reinstall:

Sndvol_after_Vivaldi_Un-Reinstall.jpg

and here is the analogous page under Windows 10 Settings, where Vivaldi is not shown (and I'm fully "scrolled down" in this shot):

Win10_after_Vivaldi_Un-Reinstall.jpg

Note also that Brave is nowhere to be seen, either, although it is also installed on this system and functioning with Google Voice.

I'd be willing to bet that this is in some way connected with the system registry and what gets placed there by the various installers for these browsers, but I'm sure not going to take the time to even attempt a deep dive to find out what, exactly, that might be.

Reactions: GTP
You could spend hours trying to nut it out and still not find a root cause.
You've fixed it to all intents and purposes. That's all that matters.

"You can learn even from fools as long as you're prepared to listen"

Back