Standard User - Non-Domain - Trying to Install Feature Update

allanc

Reaction score
I have some Standard Users (non-administrator group) in non-domain environments where the Feature Update to Windows 10, version 20H2 wants to restart and install and is failing.
They are Standard Users so that they cannot install any software (e.g. games. etc.)
As a result, the following error is occurring "Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0xC0000005: Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2."
This, of course, is expected.

They are running 24/7.
However, management is going to approve a maintenance window at 4 am :(.
I (obviously) do not want to connect remotely at 4 am to log them out, login as an Admin, restart .... etc.
I have Kaseya VSA installed on these computers so I have scripting, Powershell, scheduling, etc. available.

How are other techs handling this scenario?
Thank you in advance.

No, I have not.
I will try that suggestion and report back.
Thank you.
Reason I asked is because I myself had a couple workstations being unable to upgrade to the latest version of Windows. After clearing that out I was able to do so.

Software Distribution can and often does contain corrupted installers sometimes, all sorts of Windows Update behavior can be fixed by simply nuking that folder and rebooting.

So while I cannot speak to any experience with it solving this specific issue, it seems to me to be worth a shot. It's an easily scripted operation too.

Software Distribution can and often does contain corrupted installers sometimes, all sorts of Windows Update behavior can be fixed by simply nuking that folder and rebooting.

So while I cannot speak to any experience with it solving this specific issue, it seems to me to be worth a shot. It's an easily scripted operation too.
Rename the Software Distribution folder did not resolve the problem.
The following error was found in their Event Log"

'Description: Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0xC0000005: Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2.'

Why not do this? Why waste the time trying to fix the update?
It's generally a bad idea to leave a machine that can't properly update connected to the internet. You want to fix this or worst-case scenario nuke and pave it. Ignoring it is a bad idea. Or have I misunderstood what you are asking?

It's generally a bad idea to leave a machine that can't properly update connected to the internet. You want to fix this or worst-case scenario nuke and pave it. Ignoring it is a bad idea. Or have I misunderstood what you are asking?

I understand them saying why are you wasting time trying to fix Windows update instead of the ISO. Since upgrading with the ISO will most likely fix the problem and update the system at the same time. They are not advocating not patching.

Sorry you misunderstood. The reference was to what @Porthos said "do a repair install with a 21h1 ISO"

So what @mikeroq said.

Back