Setting up Internet in KDE

Joe The PC Doc

Reaction score
Hey guys, Joe has another Linux issue!

For some reason, my Linux laptop is failing to connect to the internet all of a sudden.. I have a direct connection to the cable modem, no router, and everything worked fine 'til yesterday, when I couldn't connect anymore. I know little about network settings in (Kubuntu) Linux. I tried setting a default gateway but it didn't seem to help.. The internet works on an XP laptop I have sitting around.

Any advice?

I am no Linux guy, but I do not think that you want to set a gateway. You most likely should be using DHCP and getting all your TCPIP settings from your ISP.

I would make sure to set it to dhcp. Power cycle your router, then reboot the laptop. If that doesnt do it for you I can help more.

Well, I tried a few of those things, but now I fear I misjudged the problem, I think the onboard NIC might be cooked in my laptop... i had some overheating issues with is a few days ago, and that's when the error started happening.

The internet works on my other laptop, and failed to work in another environment (Knoppix)...

Thanks anyways guys, need to test the port properly to be sure.

Well if its a newer laptop (last few years.) The "onboard" wireless is just a minipci card, they can be replaced pretty cheaply, so its not the worst diagnosis.

First see if you are getting an IP address by going to the terminal & typing:

ifconfig

Holzster

If you still having trouble try typing dhcpcd in terminal not sure if its going to work with what ever distro your using but give it a try.

What version of Kubuntu?

But yeah. Go to a command prompt and use
to see if you've got an IP. Use
ifconfig eth0
to specifically query your first network card. In fact, if you're not totally certain it's hardware, run
cat /etc/network/interfaces
and post the results here, I'll take a look.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I've kinda shoved it to the side and am using a workaround (USB connection to the modem works fine) but I'll hook it back up and try in the near future, and I'll share the results then.

Back