Server 2016 Updates

HCHTech

Reaction score
One of my Server 2016 installations has been giving me fits today - it's a HyperV Host, with 2 VMs, a DC & an App Server.

The host had auto-rebooted after an update at 10am apparently, and was hung up - I had to force it off and restart it. During the restart, I saw the familiar "configuring updates" screen. There were no errors, it went to 100% and booted normally. I checked and there were still 3 outstanding updates, and it was set for DownloadOnly with an active time of 7am - 6pm. I made a note to remote in this evening and apply the outstanding updates and look for clues to the in-period reboot.

Unfortunately, it apparently tried this whole trick again this afternoon about 2pm. This time, I talked them through a reset over the phone. Again during the reboot, it showed the 'configuring updates' screens, but it went to 100% without error and booted normally. When I remoted in at 3, everything looked normal (there were no failed updates evident in the logs), but it was now showing 5 available updates. No hardware warnings, nothing seemed awry at all.

As a stop-gap measure, I created a task in task scheduler to disable the Update Orchestrator "Reboot" task every 30 minutes:

Command: schtasks
Arguments: /change /tn \Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot /DISABLE

They work late, so I won't be able to reboot the thing on purpose until after 8 this evening. I'll apply all of the updates (on all three machines, the host and the 2 VMs) and reboot everything, hopefully that will set it right. Yikes, what a day.

Back