Selling Refurbished Computers and Doing It Right

This seems so weird to me that they would even bother to notify you that you "passed." Yeah, I'd be curious to see this letter. It almost seems like a hoax.

So, you can't just buy a new hard dirve and oem software and put the oem sticker on the system?
They pick out the best looking/used computer that you have and that you repaired, then you put in the new hard drive with oem software and sticker? Then charge for used computer and charge for a new install of os? Or would it be better to install linux on older systems that will not be able to update and or upgrade to windows 7 hardware wise?

Last edited:
So, you can't just buy a new hard dirve and oem software and put the oem sticker on the system?
They pick out the best looking/used computer that you have and that you repaired, then you put in the new hard drive with oem software and sticker? Then charge for used computer and charge for a new install of os? Or would it be better to install linux on older systems that will not be able to update and or upgrade to windows 7 hardware wise?

You can certainly use an OEM package, with license and media. It's just more expensive than the MAR kit.

You can certainly use an OEM package, with license and media. It's just more expensive than the MAR kit.

How much is the mar kit and how to apply for it? Also I only pay between 95.00 and 105.00 for the oem software. Then charge 250.

So, let me get this straight.

If I buy a Dell laptop off of a customer with a failing harddrive, in order to be compliant with Microsoft licensing, when I replace the harddrive it must either have Dell's recovery partition or recovery media, or I must use a Microsoft refurb license?

I was always under the impression that as long as you didn't change 75% of the hardware and installed what was on the COA you were fine.

Maniaman, there is a sticky here http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38785, which should answer all questions relating to refurbing computers, and the refurb program.

Yes but it's wrong when it comes to what qualifies as refurb and what requires an MAR. Two consecutive paragraphs blatantly contradict each other and the context of the EULA. Why, after the facts have been sufficiently established allowed to remain and mislead?

So, let me get this straight.

If I buy a Dell laptop off of a customer with a failing harddrive, in order to be compliant with Microsoft licensing, when I replace the harddrive it must either have Dell's recovery partition or recovery media, or I must use a Microsoft refurb license?

I was always under the impression that as long as you didn't change 75% of the hardware and installed what was on the COA you were fine.

A lot of people are, but that's a falsehood. You're correct in the first paragraph.

Yes but it's wrong when it comes to what qualifies as refurb and what requires an MAR. Two consecutive paragraphs blatantly contradict each other and the context of the EULA. Why, after the facts have been sufficiently established allowed to remain and mislead?

The facts have come direct from the MS refurb website. Therefore if you think there are any discrepancies, take it up with Microsoft.

I started that thread to stop all the questions relating to refurb's.

Which paragraphs contradict each other?, and I will look into it, to ensure what I have wrote is correct. Please feel free to pm me, instead of hijacking this thread.

The facts have come direct from the MS refurb website. Therefore if you think there are any discrepancies, take it up with Microsoft.

Which paragraphs contradict each other?, and I will look into it, to ensure what I have wrote is correct. Please feel free to pm me, instead of hijacking this thread.

That would be so awesome of this thread could stop being hijacked! :D

Sorry for partly hijacking your thread pcx. Slaps my own wrist, i'll refrain from posting when it doesnt add content to the thread :)

Sorry for partly hijacking your thread pcx. Slaps my own wrist, i'll refrain from posting when it doesnt add content to the thread :)

Hijacking my own thread now . . . :rolleyes: Wasn't referring to you, I was actually thanking you.:D

Back