Search box on task bar

River Valley Computer

Reaction score
Has anyone had issues from clients recently griping about the 'new' search box' showing a big popup box with a bunch of BS in it. We tried the procedure to disable it but guess what...... it didn't work. Screenshot (53).png

No, as this has been like this for as long as I can remember. I pay no attention to it.

If they want to avoid that pop-up altogether then just hit the WinKey and begin typing your search term(s). The resulting search box looks like this:
1651161948840.png

I'll just never understand why users (and I include myself here) sometimes obsess about the utterly trivial, and what the initial presentation of the search dialog looks like above the search edit box before the search is performed could not possibly be more trivial. Enter your search criteria in the search edit box and the actual search results box looks precisely the same regardless of the "trigger method" you used. That's what counts.

Just did one today. Solved by unchecking Taskbar context menu - Search\Show search highlights, per this advice (which I found later). I don't have that option in my context menu for some reason.

Edit: It may not be the same issue, since in your example I don't see search highlight icons beside the search box, which is what I was dealing with.

Last edited:
Back