Script to copy selected files and retain folder structure

swordfish2252

Reaction score
I am just wondering if anybody has or knows any program/ script to copy selected types of files and retains the folder structure . Sometimes I get asked if I can copy all mp3, jpeg, doc on a particular computer, format it, reinstall OS and move where/how they were, so no need to recreate folder/subfolders and move those files. I am looking for a program that would allow me to tick the type of files/folder I need to search on the entire comptuer and copy them in the same folder/subfolder order.

Fab's AutoBackup, almost if not the best choice to copy and restore user data and allows for custom folder saving in addition to the typically used folders.

Thanks Tweak, Fab's AutoBackup is good but what I was looking for is slightly different "lets say a client comes to you and says my computer is very slow and infected with virus, I need you to format, not clean, but before you format it can you copy all of my documents & photos and restore them in the same order". In this case I would either use windows search*.doc,*.rtf,*.docx,*.jpg, *jpeg etc, or google desktop search, and then use synch program or custom backup using Fab's Autobackup, it will be time consuming for searching different types of files, sometimes customers would have folders hidden as well. So I was looking for a program that would give option to select different types of format to search in the whole comptuer with a click of a button, makes a backup and when restored it will retain the folder structure like any synch program or autobackup.

This should be fairly straight forward batch file .. I don't have time to write yours, I'm workin' on my own; but heres my thoughts.

You would want to use the dir command to get search for the extensions.
You should be using dir in the root of the drive.
Then using the XCOPY command with the /T and /E switches copy the output from the dir command to a removable drive.

I'm sure kdyer will come along and pull something fantastic out of his ass .. he does that .. :rolleyes:

Seriously ? like omg .. i didn't know that .. :rollseyes:

I thnk he was lookin' for a more generic solution, as he wanted it to backup customers data. xcopy is avail. on both xp and vista (not sure about 7, prob not) because yes, xcopy is a dying breed, and robocopy is more advanced.

Download the resource kit if you want robocopy for xp.

MOST, not all, but most people use Documents (User folder Vista/7) and Desktop or the root of C for anything needing saving so I use Fabs and last step is add custom files/folders...haven't ever not saved what was needed for anyone over the years, plus I suck at scripting. :D

Back