SBS 2011 with RDC/terminal services?

drjones

Reaction score
Hi, I have a client with SBS 2011 Standard; brand new install and server.

They want to have several users remote in to run Quickbooks.

They are currently able to do this, but we're getting a pop-up about the licensing getting ready to expire.

I've read conflicting reports about whether or not it is possible to use SBS 2011 as a terminal server.

Can I or can I not purchase RDC/Terminal Service licenses in order to allow them to continue to remote into their server?

Thank you!

Why don't you install quickbooks on each individual computer and have them modify a single network shared file. Quickbooks has a multi-edit mode which is a glorified write/lock manager. 99% of business users who use quickbooks do it this way.

You can setup user accounts through the server hosting the file so that there's no user conflicts.

Why don't you install quickbooks on each individual computer and have them modify a single network shared file. Quickbooks has a multi-edit mode which is a glorified write/lock manager. 99% of business users who use quickbooks do it this way.

That doesn't work too well from across the internet though. Notice the OP said "remote in"......
Quickbooks doesn't do well across a VPN since it went to .NET Frame engine.

For at least a couple of the users, they have Macs, so it's easiest for them to just remote directly into the server.

I'm well aware that it's a bad idea, but they have been doing it for a long time without issue on their old server, and I've warned them about the risks inherent in this.

They really wanted to centralize their data and lower the risk of people taking their data; it's at least a touch more difficult when you are remoted in vs. having access to mapped drives. I know people can still email files to themselves....I guess they are just comfortable with the terminal environment, and again it makes sense for the Mac users.

Well....uhm. Jeeze..all I can say is "Yikes".

Forgive me, but I'm grabbing the microphone and stepping up on the soap box for a few minutes.

Installing and running Quickbooks client (for multiple users at once) on the same box that you serve the company file from....I wouldn't do that.
You should only
Installing Quickbooks on a computer that has MS Exchange installed....I wouldn't do that.
Don't install Office on a server that has Exchange....installing Outlook will change the mapi32.dll and you're guaranteed to chase Exchange issues down the road.
Don't let end users log onto local desktop of a domain controller....and especially surf the web.

In my career I have seen an SBS2003 box used as a terminal server...a home design company, they used it to have multiple users log into Timberline software. They had nothing but issues with that server..needed frequent cleaning, and weekly reboots. You're talking about stability of a domain controller here, plus stability of an Exchange Server. Exchange is a resource hog. Quickbooks is a resource hog..just running by itself. Having several instances of Quickbooks open at the same time is a tremendous resource hog...now plop that on top of an Exchange server...and a DC. Not to mention what if a user opens a virus laden e-mail through their Outlook on that server? Or surfs the 'net from it and catches something. Or shuts down the server by accident when the log off? Or via Windows explorer accidentally moves a directory that should not be touched?

OK...I'll put the microphone back in the stand and step off the soap box.

I haven't tried setting this up..but what I would check..
*Is Terminal Services licensing role installed on the server?
*Licenses for Terminal Server user CALs purchased and activated in it? (this will not work with standard SBS user cals....flat out will not work)
*Terminal Server license manager can contact it and show it's active?
*If Office was installed, needs to be a volume license version.

**Proper approach here...sell them the SBS 2011 Premium edition add-on..which gives them another 2k8r2 license...in addition to the base hyper-v license. Hyper-V the box with the base 2k8r2 instance, have SBS as a guest, and use the second license of 2k8r2 as another guest in Hyper-V...running as a terminal server.

YeOldeStonecat:

I really do thank you and respect your views. I have tried to make them aware of the dangers of doing what they want to do, but they are set in their ways to put it politely.

They are not running their own exchange (yes exchange is technically active/running since it's SBS, but we've not set it up) and if they were, there's really no way at all I'd let them do this.

I did not install Outlook onto the server specifically because I was afraid someone would take it upon themselves to try to set it up.

Again, while they aren't heeding my warnings about doing this with their server, at least all they really do is use it for QB and excel. They were using their old server in this manner for a long time without any major issues, and it was in fairly good shape, which tells me they don't do stuff they shouldn't while on the server.

As for your other questions, I'll have to login & check it again....
Thank you

I'm with YeOldeStonecat:
Virtualize the server and use the second Hyper V instance for the Remote desktop. This would cost an extra server license plus user licenses and RD licenses may cost $2k (well here in OZ). This will save you problems. (unless you want reoccurred income;))

You will need to make sure the hardware is capable of it.

put it to your customer that if they spend XXX now most likely it will pay for itself in 12 months or so. If they are not listening then I'd look at dropping them (I know it's hard) but they aren't listening to you.

P2v the existing server.

Buy server 2012 standard
Import p2v of SBS
Use license of server 2012 for guest os
Keep db manager on SBS
Keep data on SBS
Install qb on guest
Install office on guest

Done with little cost - need 2 nic. Need 32gb memory (maybe more), copy of server 2012 standard, RDS cals, office standard cals

Should have been virtual from the start

Back