Resetting WD SSDs - Bootable USB

Rigo

Reaction score
The dashboard offers to create a bootable to reset the SSDs.
Successfully created one, I think, but can't do anything with it as it boots to a command line prompt.
I was expecting a GUI.
Checked the various options offered in the help, total stranger in Linux and couldn't make real sense of any of them.
Got the impression something is missing.WD Bootable USB .jpgWD Bootable USB - Help options.jpg

I didn't even know that WD Dashboard had a "secure erase" feature.

But yes, it boots to linux and does the magic there. The error you're seeing says the boot medium wasn't created correctly OR your machine doesn't like your USB stick OR your BIOS/EFI doens't like booting to that device / OS combination.

I didn't even know that WD Dashboard had a "secure erase" feature.

But yes, it boots to linux and does the magic there. The error you're seeing says the boot medium wasn't created correctly OR your machine doesn't like your USB stick OR your BIOS/EFI doens't like booting to that device / OS combination.
I think something is wonky with the creation of the tool.
Either it fails to create the required components to boot or to tie them up correctly to launch.
Have you been able to get yours working?

I think something is wonky with the creation of the tool.
Either it fails to create the required components to boot or to tie them up correctly to launch.
Have you been able to get yours working?
Yes! But you're right, those tools are flighty and I'm use to WD's brand of strange because their Acronis imaging solution has a similar set of problems. I'm also rather adept at Debian flavored Linux which they use so repairing the USB stick isn't outside of my skill set.

But you are correct, they do not make the USB quite right in all cases, and that often boils down to BIOS / USB / Memory stick compatibility issues.

Back